Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I turn off Shuffle on my iPod Touch 6th Generation ( running iOS 12.5.6)

How can I turn off Shuffle on my iPod Touch 6th Generation ( running iOS 12.5.6). Neither of my ‘Play’ or ‘Shuffle’ icons are highlighted. No matter what I do, it randomly plays any song it likes, which is frustrating as I am (and have been doing successfully for the past 4 years) trying to play all my songs in Alphabetical order, I am up to the ‘F’s’, but today for some reason it’s playing up. HELP!!

iPod, 12

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 8:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 4:44 AM

The control to turn it off is on the Now Playing screen. The controls you see on the various menus cannot be used to turn Shuffle off.

• In the Music app, when a song is playing, tap the Now Playing ribbon at the bottom of the screen to reveal the full Now Playing display (it shows the artwork for the song, the time into the song and the pause, back and forward buttons as well as song details). Then drag that screen upwards to reveal the additional controls, which includes the Shuffle and Repeat buttons. Once dragged up, the screen looks like the one shown below:

• In the screenshot above, the Shuffle button is red with white text, which means that Shuffle mode is on. Tap the button to turn off Shuffle (and the button becomes light grey with red text)

• In that screenshot, notice that the Repeat button is light grey with white text. This means that the Repeat function is off. Note that each tap of the the Repeat button switches to the next mode, as follows:
    1. Off - light grey button with red text. Repeat is off
    2. Repeat - red button with white text. When the current list has finished playing, the iPod will repeat the same list
    3. Repeat 1 - red button, white text with a small 1 in the arrows. This causes the same song to repeat until you stop it
    4. Off

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2022 4:44 AM in response to acprinting

The control to turn it off is on the Now Playing screen. The controls you see on the various menus cannot be used to turn Shuffle off.

• In the Music app, when a song is playing, tap the Now Playing ribbon at the bottom of the screen to reveal the full Now Playing display (it shows the artwork for the song, the time into the song and the pause, back and forward buttons as well as song details). Then drag that screen upwards to reveal the additional controls, which includes the Shuffle and Repeat buttons. Once dragged up, the screen looks like the one shown below:

• In the screenshot above, the Shuffle button is red with white text, which means that Shuffle mode is on. Tap the button to turn off Shuffle (and the button becomes light grey with red text)

• In that screenshot, notice that the Repeat button is light grey with white text. This means that the Repeat function is off. Note that each tap of the the Repeat button switches to the next mode, as follows:
    1. Off - light grey button with red text. Repeat is off
    2. Repeat - red button with white text. When the current list has finished playing, the iPod will repeat the same list
    3. Repeat 1 - red button, white text with a small 1 in the arrows. This causes the same song to repeat until you stop it
    4. Off

Nov 13, 2022 12:01 PM in response to the fiend

Dear The Fiend,

Thank you so much for your helpful answer, which has solved my problem completely. I was all prepared to having to re-set to factory settings, my I-Pod Touch, as that was what Apple Support was suggesting I do. So to be told by you to simply swipe up the 'Now Playing' screen and simply turn off the 'Shuffle' option has been a real life (and time) saver! Thank you once again, you're a star

How can I turn off Shuffle on my iPod Touch 6th Generation ( running iOS 12.5.6)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.