Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2009 early Mac Pro up grade

My 2009 Mac Pro has a 2.66 quad core cpu with 8 gigs of memory

I would like to up grade to 8 core dual cpu tray with 2.26 processor’s with 64 gigs of memory

can I just swap trays or is firmware needed the Mac OS I am running is high serria 10.13

Mac Pro, 10.13

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 8:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 1:53 PM

You MUST stay true to initial type -- 2009 models require a 2009 dual-cpu tray. A 2010 model dual-chip tray will not run properly (the fans stay on maximum).

The cost of a dual-CPU try is still ridiculously high to get 8 real cores.

You could upgrade to a single hexacore chip if you force-upgrade to the 5,1 firmware. (not recommended unless you are a tinkerer.)

¿Are you truly out of processing power? Most of these Macs are very strongly I/O Bound, and have lots of additional processor power left.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2022 1:53 PM in response to Moliver79

You MUST stay true to initial type -- 2009 models require a 2009 dual-cpu tray. A 2010 model dual-chip tray will not run properly (the fans stay on maximum).

The cost of a dual-CPU try is still ridiculously high to get 8 real cores.

You could upgrade to a single hexacore chip if you force-upgrade to the 5,1 firmware. (not recommended unless you are a tinkerer.)

¿Are you truly out of processing power? Most of these Macs are very strongly I/O Bound, and have lots of additional processor power left.

2009 early Mac Pro up grade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.