Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Windows 10/11 Drivers for ITunes

REF Apple case: 101850370179

I've been trying to get Apple to update iTunes installers to make iPod recognized as an AppleUSB device on Windows 64bit 10/11 by updating the Registry.

Even tried snail-mail (ref case) but keep getting the run-a-round.

On my old Win7 64bit desktop rig I could get my iPod recognized in iTunes by retrying several times, but with my new Win10 64bit desktop rig iTunes NEVER recognizes my iPod.

Please help me get Apple's attention to implement the Registry update for Win10/11.

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2022 7:35 AM

"You can try Apple's own advice on this issue which can be found at If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support, or try Official Apple Support again."

I have said this before, I have tried every suggestion from (frankly useless) Apple Support. None worked.

The bottom line is iTunes needs to be fixed to see iPod.

turingtest2, can you pass this issue and my iTunes Device Menu suggestion to a real Apple Software Engineer?

Similar questions

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2022 7:35 AM in response to turingtest2

"You can try Apple's own advice on this issue which can be found at If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support, or try Official Apple Support again."

I have said this before, I have tried every suggestion from (frankly useless) Apple Support. None worked.

The bottom line is iTunes needs to be fixed to see iPod.

turingtest2, can you pass this issue and my iTunes Device Menu suggestion to a real Apple Software Engineer?

Nov 3, 2022 8:23 AM in response to Ed Redondo

This is a user to user support forum. Nobody here can escalate anything for you.

Try iOS device not showing in iTunes for Windows - Apple Community. Despite the title the same steps can help with older devices. If you've installed iTunes from the Microsoft Store you might need to switch to the traditional installer. It may also help to downgrade one or two builds if the latest one doesn't work for you for reasons.

tt2

Nov 14, 2022 11:52 AM in response to Ed Redondo

You can try Apple's own advice on this issue which can be found at If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support, or try Official Apple Support again. With so many hardware and software manufacturers involved, and users asking different things of their computers and installing different software, each computer has the potential to be a unique environment. Sometimes that environment can prevent software from installing the way it is meant to. Most people don't get this issue. Those that do are usually able to resolve it by reinstalling iTunes or actively coercing Windows into using the correct driver, so that iTunes is then able to see the connected device. I understand that none of this is any comfort to you when, quite rightly, you just want it to work. 🙁

tt2

Nov 14, 2022 8:57 AM in response to Ed Redondo

As you suggested, I tried iTunes versions "12.10.0.7" & "12.10.11" and they did NOT see my "E: iPod AppleUSB device." Went back to current "12.12.6.1" version.

Again, users should not be trying to 'tweak' iTunes to see their iPod. You need to fix iTunes to allow a user to 'open' a device, like adding "Open Device" to the File/Deices menu (see pic).

Nov 5, 2022 4:18 AM in response to Ed Redondo

Ed Redondo wrote:

I do use the 'traditional' installer. I normally do not use Microsoft Store, in fact I've removed the App because of annoying notifications.

Why? (and what annoying notifications?) I use the 'traditional' installer but I do not see any notifications, other than messages specifically about iTunes, or managing the iPod.

iTunes is designed to manage the iPod Classic so if your iTunes isn't (wasn't) recognising the iPod, then you should try turingtest2's advice. That means re-installing iTunes. You will not be able to add music to the iPod without iTunes and since the only thing a Classic can do is play music, you need iTunes.

Nov 6, 2022 3:26 PM in response to Ed Redondo

If Windows sees something it calls an Apple USB device that Windows has detected it, but isn't using the correct driver. If forcing using Windows to use the Apple supplied driver in the way described hasn't worked then roll back to the previous build, or the one before that, and try again. Or switch to the Microsoft Store version. They should all work, but sometimes a particular combination of hardware and software environments seem to break things. You could see it iTunes is able to detect the iPod classic while it is in disk mode.

tt2

iPod Windows 10/11 Drivers for ITunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.