Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview hanging when I try to combine PDFs

Hi, I am trying to combine PDFs using Preview as described here:

Use Preview to combine PDFs on your Mac - Apple Support

Sometimes it works, but other times the program just hangs.

I am wondering if it has to do with file size (the files are a few MB each and it is adding up), but they are the files I have to combine!

I see this problem discussed here:

Preview freezes when trying to merge PDF … - Apple Community

I have tried the idea of re-reading and writing the files out again. It seems to help somewhat, but I am still having problems, so I am reaching out for ideas.

I am using Preview 11.0 with Monterey 12.6.1.

The files were originally created with MS Word, although I also tried reexporting them with Preview.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 2:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2022 11:48 AM

Rather than fool with Preview, Apple provides a Quick Action named Create PDF. Select the PDFs in the Finder in the order you want them combined using the ⌘ key, and then right-click on the first selection, choose Quick Actions > Create PDF from the Finder secondary menu. A new PDF will appear on your Desktop with the combination complete.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2022 11:48 AM in response to tak192

Rather than fool with Preview, Apple provides a Quick Action named Create PDF. Select the PDFs in the Finder in the order you want them combined using the ⌘ key, and then right-click on the first selection, choose Quick Actions > Create PDF from the Finder secondary menu. A new PDF will appear on your Desktop with the combination complete.

Nov 5, 2022 4:54 PM in response to tak192

Hi tak192,

Let's try to narrow this down and isolate it more by testing in safe mode and a new user account.

Safe mode prevents certain software from opening and completes great checks on startup. More information on starting to safe mode and steps to take after starting there can be found here: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

1. "Shut down your Mac.
  2. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.
  3. Select your startup disk, then press and hold the Shift key while clicking “Continue in Safe Mode”.
  4. Log in to your Mac. You may be asked to log in again."

If Preview continues to hang in safe mode, create a new user account (administrator) to see if the behavior happens there. This will let us know if it is system-wide or something within your user account: Change Users & Groups settings on Mac

Delete a user or group on Mac (to remove the test account once completed)

Let us know what you find.

Cheers!

Nov 10, 2022 10:52 AM in response to Lager1

Hi, thanks for the reply. Safe mode did not help. Adding another user might be a bit complex (this is a work computer and I don't have full control), but if I can try it I'll get back to you.

I have decided that maybe the documents are saved after all but it takes a _long_ time (as in go away, forget you still had it going, etc. - so at least ten minutes or more). I should probably have mentioned that where things get bogged down is where I try to save the combined document.

I eventually gave it to someone with another computer who had adobe acrobat and he said it took about 10-15 sec per file, so having it take many minutes still does not make much sense.

Preview hanging when I try to combine PDFs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.