Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GPS Metadata incorrect in iPhone 14 raw photos

I have noticed the metadata for raw files that I take with my new iPhone 14 Pro are incorrect. They show locations in China when I view the images on the Lightroom map module.

I suppose the issue might be due to the export process of original unmodified images from Photos for Mac, since it writes the metadata tags.

GPS on my iPhone does seem to be working correctly for other applications, such as my Trails tracking program.

Have you encountered this issue?

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 4:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2022 12:45 AM

> export process of original unmodified images

Do you mean the .xmp sidecar? It has for a long time had the following error:

Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura Photos.app has a flaw that sets western and southern coordinates to the other side of the globe because it ignores the standard for GPS data with its "Export IPTC as XMP" option.

According to the specification, the XMP GPSLatitude/Longitude tags have the reference directions included instead of in a separate tag in the form “DDD,MM,SSk” or “DDD,MM.mmk”.

[an example omitted because the metadata code apparently is not allowed here]

For this reason the user must use hacks to write the correct GPS in western and southern hemispheres. Otherwise a place in southern Argentina is erroneously located in Pakistan.

https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=12634.msg68327#msg68327

How to retain metadata modification date … - Apple Community

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2022 12:45 AM in response to steadman161

> export process of original unmodified images

Do you mean the .xmp sidecar? It has for a long time had the following error:

Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura Photos.app has a flaw that sets western and southern coordinates to the other side of the globe because it ignores the standard for GPS data with its "Export IPTC as XMP" option.

According to the specification, the XMP GPSLatitude/Longitude tags have the reference directions included instead of in a separate tag in the form “DDD,MM,SSk” or “DDD,MM.mmk”.

[an example omitted because the metadata code apparently is not allowed here]

For this reason the user must use hacks to write the correct GPS in western and southern hemispheres. Otherwise a place in southern Argentina is erroneously located in Pakistan.

https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=12634.msg68327#msg68327

How to retain metadata modification date … - Apple Community

Nov 3, 2022 4:56 PM in response to steadman161

The issue is clearly happening in Photos for Mac. When I export a file as a JPG the GPS metadata is correct. When I export the original unmodified file for the same image, the GPS data is missing the compass direction in the EXIF file.

It shows 59’4.782” instead of 59’4.77” N. The lack of N, S, E or W in the EXIF file makes the GPS coordinate unclear!

GPS Metadata incorrect in iPhone 14 raw photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.