Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Login stuck after update macOS Ventura

Does anyone have a problem logging into the system after updating to macOS Ventura?

After entering the user name and password, the thermometer gets stuck while logging in.

The problem is related to M1 processors (Mac with Intel is without problems). Mac is in MDM and FileVault is enabled.

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Nov 4, 2022 2:28 AM

Similar questions

19 replies

Jan 11, 2023 3:00 PM in response to psobotka_cs

Apologies for the delay in responding.

I was also able to identify another fix if you are unable to create another user account:

1. Login to recovery mode and launch Terminal from Utilities in the menu bar 
  2. Type ls /Volumes
  3. Find the name of the main OS volume. This should be Macintosh HD (not - Data)
  4. Type cd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ (Pressing TAB will autocomplete the paths in case I have typed this wrong)
  5. In this directory, type ls to get a list of all .plist files.
  6. Type rm *filename* for the following files:
  • com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
  • com.apple.network.identification.plist or com.apple.network.eapolclient.configuration.plist
  • com.apple.wifi.message-tracer.plist
  • NetworkInterfaces.plist
  • preferences.plist

This is a one time fix and theoretically devices in MDM would be receiving WiFi configuration / it would be stored in the users keychain and restored post sign in.

Feb 6, 2023 12:50 PM in response to abhiksaha

Hi, I was stuck in this state also and was unable to create additional accounts etc.

My fix was

1. Login to recovery mode and launch Terminal from Utilities in the menu bar 
  2. Type ls /Volumes
  3. Find the name of the main OS volume. This should be Macintosh HD (not - Data)
  4. Type cd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ (Pressing TAB will autocomplete the paths in case I have typed this wrong)
  5. In this directory, type ls to get a list of all .plist files.
  6. Type rm *filename* for the following files:
  • com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
  • com.apple.network.identification.plist or com.apple.network.eapolclient.configuration.plist
  • com.apple.wifi.message-tracer.plist
  • NetworkInterfaces.plist
  • preferences.plist

This is a one time fix and theoretically devices in MDM would be receiving WiFi configuration / it would be stored in the users keychain and restored post sign in.

I realise this doesn’t specifically relate to FileVault however it worked for 10+ devices in my fleet.

Dec 18, 2022 2:35 AM in response to psobotka_cs

I can confirm the exact same issue, with devices working fine on be tura until the most recent update.

Filevault & MDM managed (I am the administrator) with no changes in configuration and several devices stuck at login.

Holding shift to disable login items does not solve the issue.

Unloading launch agents and daemons made no difference.

Running a repair install / new install hangs after several hours.

So far the only "fix" is to wipe the disk and reinstall from scratch.

Dec 18, 2022 1:49 PM in response to nrusconi

The main problem in my case was Trend Micro antivirus installed on the endpoint. MacBook without Trend Micro worked fine. Update to macOS 13.1 did not resolve my problem - mac stuck on login screen.

After some tests I found out the issue in the MDM profile with payloadtype com.apple.MCX.

After remove of the configuration profile for TimeZone setup, user can logon without stuck.

Example of my TimeZone configuration profile.

<dict>

<key>PayloadType</key>

<string>com.apple.MCX</string>

<key>PayloadDisplayName</key>

<string>Time Server</string>

<key>PayloadVersion</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>timeServer</key>

<string>time.apple.com</string>

<key>timeZone</key>

<string>Europe/Prague</string>

<key>PayloadUUID</key>

<string>0ECAFFC4-A0AD-4124-B3ED-XXXX</string>

<key>PayloadIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.MCX.0ECAFFC4-A0AD-4124-B3ED-XXXX</string>

</dict>

BUT, you can use one of this steps as workaround:

Before reboot disable wifi connection (turn OFF toggle on the wifi adapter)

Try logon to Mac on the place, where Mac cannot automaticly connect to known wifi SSID (for examle turn off wifi AP at home).

Apr 27, 2023 7:16 AM in response to psobotka_cs

Hello,

I had exactly the same the problem. In my case the machine was managed by Mosyle.

After some trial and error here is the solution that worked (M1 mbp, filevault On).

1) Boot into recovery mode.

2) Instead of selecting a user to reset the password, select "Forgot password"

3) When prompted, type in the recovery key for the Filevault volume in my case a PRK that was escrowed in Mosyle.

4) Reset the password of the user.

5) Open a tty and find the .AppleSetupDone file (won't work without this step)

6) Reboot the machine - log into the account. (you have to go through setup assistant)

But then you will dropped into the session.

Once logged in, don't reboot as the problem will come back.

7) Remove the FV2 profile in mosyle.

8) Disable Filevault through system preferences

9) Update to 13.3.1 (because of the zero day(s) in previous releases...)

10) Re-enable FV2 in mosyle.

It seems to work... For now..

I wish I could find the root cause, but it requires some further investigations (checking logs, etc). But the client won't pay me for this.

EDIT: After re-enabling FV, after a few reboots the problem re-appeared.

BR

Erik

Jun 25, 2023 6:17 AM in response to psobotka_cs

Hi

I have a intel MBP 16 2019 and when I try to confirm it gets stuck it started yesterday. And I had to force quit I tried several times. With no results Apple what is going on, Lately there is so many issues. Icloud do not sync now this it just getting worse. I really regret I upgraded from Monterey to Ventura. I hope someone here no if there are a fix or there will soon come on.

Login stuck after update macOS Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.