Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac dying?

Hello.

So I was checking for system/software updates for my iMac today (specifications below) and I was getting no response. All I got was the spinning wheel of death and it says "Checking for updates...". I finally closed out of System Preferences after almost 15 minutes of this.

I restarted the computer and noticed the start up was not as smooth as normal. After entering my password, the screen flickered, blacked out for several seconds and then came back on. This is not how the computer normally works.

I have 2 issues that concern me.

1. Is Apple still supporting my computer from 2014?
  2. I am worried that the computer is on it's last legs and won't last much longer.

I have no issues with any other devices (laptops, phone) and my is up-to-date.

Anyone have any educated guesses/insight for me?

Posted on Nov 4, 2022 6:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2022 10:50 AM

I agree, please locate an independent Apple Authorized Service Provider. If you need assistance finding one, please click AppleCare Contact Info to start the process of locating one in your general area.

Similar questions

2 replies

iMac dying?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.