Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trash Can Badge on Device icon in Find My app

What does the trash can badge mean on my phones icon in the Device list of the Find My app (iPhone 14 Pro, 16.1)?

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Nov 4, 2022 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2022 2:49 PM

Howdy Michael Mays,

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Communities.

We understand you're curious about the icon shown on the badge within the Find My app, so let's check into this together. Are you aware if a request to delete the iPhone has appeared, or was sent at the time that this shown up in Find My? If not, let's check if you have set your iPhone data to be erased after 10 failed attempts to see if this may be signaling that information will be deleted with the incorrect passcode attempts.

For assistance with checking this setting, take a look at the following steps and you can locate additional information here: Set a passcode on iPhone - Apple Support

Erase data after 10 failed passcodes

Set iPhone to erase all information, media, and personal settings after 10 consecutive failed passcode attempts.

1. Go to Settings , then do one of the following:

• On an iPhone with Face ID: Tap Face ID & Passcode.

• On an iPhone with a Home button: Tap Touch ID & Passcode.

2. Scroll to the bottom and turn on Erase Data.

The Erase Data control, located at the bottom of the Face ID and Passcode screen in Settings.

After all data is erased, you must restore your device from a backup or set it up again as new.

If that isn't related to this, contact Apple Support directly to check into this in more detail with you.

Have a great day!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2022 2:49 PM in response to Michael Mays

Howdy Michael Mays,

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Communities.

We understand you're curious about the icon shown on the badge within the Find My app, so let's check into this together. Are you aware if a request to delete the iPhone has appeared, or was sent at the time that this shown up in Find My? If not, let's check if you have set your iPhone data to be erased after 10 failed attempts to see if this may be signaling that information will be deleted with the incorrect passcode attempts.

For assistance with checking this setting, take a look at the following steps and you can locate additional information here: Set a passcode on iPhone - Apple Support

Erase data after 10 failed passcodes

Set iPhone to erase all information, media, and personal settings after 10 consecutive failed passcode attempts.

1. Go to Settings , then do one of the following:

• On an iPhone with Face ID: Tap Face ID & Passcode.

• On an iPhone with a Home button: Tap Touch ID & Passcode.

2. Scroll to the bottom and turn on Erase Data.

The Erase Data control, located at the bottom of the Face ID and Passcode screen in Settings.

After all data is erased, you must restore your device from a backup or set it up again as new.

If that isn't related to this, contact Apple Support directly to check into this in more detail with you.

Have a great day!

Trash Can Badge on Device icon in Find My app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.