Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change Mailbox Name iOS 15.7

How do I change the name of a mailbox on my iPad? Everything I have found in this forum references a ‘Description’ field that I don’t have.

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Nov 4, 2022 4:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2022 5:35 PM

Not all IMAP mailbox folder names can be edited or changed - as some are required (e.g., inbox, bin/trash). For mailboxes that you have created, they can be changed using the standard Mail App.

Open the Mail App; if not already visible, expose the Mail sidebar.

At the top of the sidebar, tap the blue Edit button; your sidebar is now in its editing mode; the mailbox folders that can be edited have a blue “folder” icon. Scroll through the list of mailbox folders to find the mailbox that you wish to rename.

When found, tap the name of the mailbox that you want to change; the Edit Mailbox window will open, where you can change the name of the mailbox, change its location, or delete it all together. When you have finished, tap Done.

You should note that due to long-standing bug in the iOS/iPadOS Mail App, nested mailbox folders (i.e., folders within folders) are not visible in the native Mail App. As such, if you move a mailbox folder into another, while the folder still exists, it cannot be seen or edited. Deleting the visible containing folder will also delete the apparently hidden sub-folder.

Other Mail Apps may show the full/nested mailbox folder structure. Also consider that you should also be able to manage and rename your mailbox folders using your mail provider’s webmail portal; just sign-in to the portal from a web browser of your choice.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2022 5:35 PM in response to Janie.Bird

Not all IMAP mailbox folder names can be edited or changed - as some are required (e.g., inbox, bin/trash). For mailboxes that you have created, they can be changed using the standard Mail App.

Open the Mail App; if not already visible, expose the Mail sidebar.

At the top of the sidebar, tap the blue Edit button; your sidebar is now in its editing mode; the mailbox folders that can be edited have a blue “folder” icon. Scroll through the list of mailbox folders to find the mailbox that you wish to rename.

When found, tap the name of the mailbox that you want to change; the Edit Mailbox window will open, where you can change the name of the mailbox, change its location, or delete it all together. When you have finished, tap Done.

You should note that due to long-standing bug in the iOS/iPadOS Mail App, nested mailbox folders (i.e., folders within folders) are not visible in the native Mail App. As such, if you move a mailbox folder into another, while the folder still exists, it cannot be seen or edited. Deleting the visible containing folder will also delete the apparently hidden sub-folder.

Other Mail Apps may show the full/nested mailbox folder structure. Also consider that you should also be able to manage and rename your mailbox folders using your mail provider’s webmail portal; just sign-in to the portal from a web browser of your choice.

Change Mailbox Name iOS 15.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.