Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6s had a master reset done so I could give it to my mum to use but is asking for a pin code to unlock it?

Hi

when I upgraded my phone I did a master reset to clear my old iPhone 6s so I could give it to my mum. However, when she put her SIM card in it the phone is asking for a 6 digit code to unlock the screen……? the problem we have is that my mums old phone is an iPhone 4 so she only has a 4 digit pin code? The phone is on 02 network and so is my mums SIM card. What does she need to do to be able to use the phone?

thanks

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 2:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 2:52 AM

If you have followed all the steps as described in Apple's support document What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad then I'd be thinking that the six digit code being requested is the PUK code (Personal Unlocking Key) associated with your mother's SIM card.

Contact her carrier to get the PUK code.

If you didn't erase and reset the iPhone could the six digit code be the one you set when you were using the device?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2022 2:52 AM in response to Jules-2015

If you have followed all the steps as described in Apple's support document What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad then I'd be thinking that the six digit code being requested is the PUK code (Personal Unlocking Key) associated with your mother's SIM card.

Contact her carrier to get the PUK code.

If you didn't erase and reset the iPhone could the six digit code be the one you set when you were using the device?

iPhone 6s had a master reset done so I could give it to my mum to use but is asking for a pin code to unlock it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.