Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID and changing email providers

I feel stuck with my email provider, because I do not want to change the email address that I use as my Apple ID that comes from that provider and (am I correct) that the email address used for the Apple ID needs to be operational. That I can use a nonfunctioning email address as my Apple ID: correct?

Reading Apple Support articles on changing the Apple ID when it is an email address; changing that email address that is, seems that it effects so many parts of the Apple system. Is there an article that is perfectly clear ALL that needs to be changed when one changing there email address (Apple ID)?

MacBook Air, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 7:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2022 1:24 PM

That is the article that I was looking for. Note the following statement in the article:

This article has been archived and is no longer updated by Apple.

I suspect that it is no longer needed -- but contact Apple if you have doubts.

11 replies

Nov 6, 2022 12:58 PM in response to allan299

You only need to change the Apple ID in one place as described in Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

Apple used to have a support article about things that you may need to do after changing the ID or password (but there was still only the one place where you changed it). That other support article only had information about logging out and then logging in again with the new ID. I can't find that article any more and there is no mention of if in either the Change your Apple ID - Apple Support or Change your Apple ID password - Apple Support articles from Apple.

Nov 6, 2022 12:25 PM in response to FoxFifth

I know, 'it looks and sounds as easy as Touch ID'; but, is it now true that that action alone does not completely complete the task? If there are other places than those mentioned at the linked page that also one needs to change the Apple ID, what are those places as far as you know.

In previous years on this message board there were cautions about 'how many' (!) places one needed to change the Apple ID in order for all things to remain harmonious and smoothly operating: is this no longer the case for some operating systems?

M2 Monterey OS 2022

Nov 6, 2022 1:32 PM in response to FoxFifth

The article is linked within the how to change the Apple ID, so I presume that it must be operational still. Contacting Apple Support is the right way to go rather than assuming that these

indications in an archived article are still Apple indications currently.

What do you think, if it is linked in the change you Apple ID and at the same time archived with the notations that it is not being updated any longer, what does that mean? I take it to mean that they are proceeding in accord with the archived article as standard practice that does not need updating: is that naive of me?

Apple ID and changing email providers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.