Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi privacy warning

Why do I have a privacy warning on my wifi connection? And how do I fix it?

iPhone 5s, iOS 12

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 11:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 11:49 AM

Your phone has a feature that hides your Wi-Fi address when you connect to a Wi-Fi network; it does this so you can’t be tracked from one location to another via Wi-Fi networks. If you turn off this feature by going to Settings/Wi-Fi and tapping the i next to the network name for a specific network you will get that warning. If it is your home network it’s not a problem, as its OK that your home network knows where your phone is.

If you don’t want to see the warning just turn on “Private Wi-Fi address” for that network.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2022 11:49 AM in response to RObbieRotting

Your phone has a feature that hides your Wi-Fi address when you connect to a Wi-Fi network; it does this so you can’t be tracked from one location to another via Wi-Fi networks. If you turn off this feature by going to Settings/Wi-Fi and tapping the i next to the network name for a specific network you will get that warning. If it is your home network it’s not a problem, as its OK that your home network knows where your phone is.

If you don’t want to see the warning just turn on “Private Wi-Fi address” for that network.

Nov 5, 2022 12:04 PM in response to RObbieRotting

Where do you see Privacy Warning? In Settings/Wi-Fi? And did you disconnect and reconnect after changing it?

The other place you might see Privacy Warning is when logging in to an app or a site. This means that the password you used has been found on a list of passwords reported in a security breach of a site where that password was used.

Wifi privacy warning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.