You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

User folder uses more space than my hard drive icon says is available

I just emptied my trash folder and expected my internal Hard Drive space to increase by 2GB however, according to the internal Hard Drive desktop icon it increased by ~34GB. I searched through all my files and can't figure out what's missing. Info about my user folder (-I) displayed it was using 864gb which is what I expected it to be without the extra 30gb... However, my hard drive still indicates 198gb available. Edit: 10 minutes later info ((⌘-I) about my user folder is 1.03tb.

Is it possible that the phantom 30gb does not represent data mistakenly deleted and resulted from some routine/normal background process?

Other than comparing to Time Machine (which was many changes ago) is there a way to find out what files or types of files were deleted, eg. a log, etc?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 2:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 10:43 PM

NVM. I figured out what files were deleted... though I have yet to figure out how they ended up in the trash.

Similar questions

1 reply

User folder uses more space than my hard drive icon says is available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.