Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to enable text-to-speech on Kindle for MacBook Pro Ventura 13.0

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 4:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2022 5:30 PM

Thanks, Grant, but that doesn't work either. My 2014 vintage MacBook Pro with Big Sur 11.6.8 reads out text in ebooks on Kindle for MacBook Pro without a hitch. No highlighting necessary, no selection, nothing. Ventura 13.0.1 (and the previous version that came with the new Mac before recently updating), however, doesn't read out the text in a Kindle ebook at all. I have not found any System settings having to do with text-to-speech that apply or even approach this question. I'm thinking this is new with the newest MacOS, Venture 13.

I still need help on this. Thanks!

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2022 5:30 PM in response to mizzaka

Thanks, Grant, but that doesn't work either. My 2014 vintage MacBook Pro with Big Sur 11.6.8 reads out text in ebooks on Kindle for MacBook Pro without a hitch. No highlighting necessary, no selection, nothing. Ventura 13.0.1 (and the previous version that came with the new Mac before recently updating), however, doesn't read out the text in a Kindle ebook at all. I have not found any System settings having to do with text-to-speech that apply or even approach this question. I'm thinking this is new with the newest MacOS, Venture 13.

I still need help on this. Thanks!

Jan 11, 2023 2:42 AM in response to mizzaka

Hi, I have the same problem, after upgrading to Ventura.

I called both: Mac Support and Kindle Amazon Support. (Germany)

1. both were not aware of this problem
  2. both had not idea how to fix it for now

Apples Answer was: wait until a new update comes, this may fix it.

My older Macbook with older MOS can still read with text to speech.

Jan 1, 2023 2:11 PM in response to Dan6452

Dan6452, I haven't found anything recent online - anywhere - that helps with this problem. Can't find anything on Amazon/Kindle, either. Apple hasn't said anything that I can find. At least, nothing newer than a few or more years ago, well before Ventura 13.0 and totally useless. Hope we can get an answer soon.

Jan 11, 2023 8:33 AM in response to Luna1211

@Luna1211 -- Thank you for adding your experience with this problem. I'm still thinking it isn't high on either company's list to fix. I hope I'm wrong. I've loved Apple's devices (phone, pad, laptop) for years because of the nice little extras like this; I may change my mind if Apple continues to eliminate the ease of use of its devices.

In the meantime, I won't be getting rid of my older MacBook Pro and won't be upgrading it, either. It's great to be busy in the kitchen and listen to my books!

Jan 13, 2023 10:47 AM in response to mizzaka

I also discovered this issue today. This was working on older versions of Mac OS but broke with Ventura. In Apple's defense, the Kindle app is 4+ years old. I suspect the Apple API that Amazon was leveraging has been deprecated for some time now. If Amazon was maintaining their app, they should have known that Ventura would ultimately break this and should have fixed it a long time ago.

Anyway, I think our only recourse is to pressure Amazon to release an update for their app. 4+ years may as well be 10 years. They are clearly not interested in supporting this app on Mac OS or IOS. I also suspect that this feature somewhat competes directly with Audible. Perhaps Amazon really just has very little incentive to support text-to-speech going forward.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.