Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printing No Longer Works

I have a 2018 mac mini. I just upgraded to Ventura. My 2 printers I had, have no disappeared. A Dymo 450 turbo, connected via USB, and a Lexmark MB2236adw that was connected over wifi. I try to add them again in the control panel under Printers & Scanners, but when I attempt to add printers, the add printers dialog crashes. I am not really sure what to do at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

Mac mini, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 4:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2022 10:02 AM

So Nearby Printers won't work either. Below are the commands for resetting the print system manually:

sudo launchctl stop org.cups.cupsd

sudo cp /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.default /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

sudo rm /etc/cups/printers.conf

sudo rm /etc/cups/ppd/*

rm ~/Library/Preferences/org.cups.PrintingPrefs.plist

(manually remove all preference files in ~/Library/Preferences/ that start with "com.apple.print")

sudo launchctl start org.cups.cupsd

If this doesn't help, can you copy/paste the crash log here?

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2022 10:02 AM in response to jerm8832

So Nearby Printers won't work either. Below are the commands for resetting the print system manually:

sudo launchctl stop org.cups.cupsd

sudo cp /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.default /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

sudo rm /etc/cups/printers.conf

sudo rm /etc/cups/ppd/*

rm ~/Library/Preferences/org.cups.PrintingPrefs.plist

(manually remove all preference files in ~/Library/Preferences/ that start with "com.apple.print")

sudo launchctl start org.cups.cupsd

If this doesn't help, can you copy/paste the crash log here?

Nov 6, 2022 10:48 AM in response to jerm8832

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and try to reset the printers from there. If you can reboot normally and wee if you can open the control panel without crashing.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Nov 6, 2022 9:02 AM in response to jerm8832

A couple of things:

1) if it's an AirPrint printer, are you able to add it with Nearby Printers in the print dialog? If it shows there?

(Restarting the printer and the router might also be helpful.)

2) This is sort of a last resort, but you could try resetting the print system. This will delete your printers, which isn't a problem, but it will also delete preferences files - so you might want to back those up if you have presets or custom page sizes.

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem - Apple Tugi (EE)

I am not sure how to reset the print system on Ventura when there aren't any printers added - that seems like an oversight. So maybe add it through Nearby Printers and then reset the print system?

And, not helpful in solving this, but filing feedback with Apple would be a good step.

Feedback - macOS - Apple

Hope this helps.

Nov 5, 2022 4:56 PM in response to jerm8832

if it does not then if it was me then I would head to the printer manufacturers website to check if they have drivers supporting vantura, it's not apple who write drivers to support printers, the manufacturers send drivers to be included in macOS if they stop wanting to support some of their models, you may have to get a new printer which they are commited to make venture drivers for

Nov 5, 2022 4:57 PM in response to satcomer

The printers are no longer showing up. When I highlight Printers & Scanners, it will sometimes take a few minutes for that part of the control panel to show. Once I try to add printers, the add printers will show my 2 printers, I select one of them to add, and thats when that Add Printer dialog will crash. All I get is a spinning beach ball. I have to force close the dialog through Activity Monitor.

Printing No Longer Works

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.