Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple iCloud Drive instructions not matching reality

Hi,

2021 MacBook Pro, Monterey 12.6. I want to back up my hard drive on iCloud.

These instructions look simple enough.

Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

But when I enable the iCloud Drive checkbox in Preferences, I do not get the Options button. And then when I uncheck it, I get a dialog about deleting files, so it has started to do *something*. But without Options to choose from, I don't know what.

What am I missing?

Thank you,

Aram

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 4:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 5:15 PM

Two things:

1. You cannot back up your Mac to iCloud. You can sync documents using iCloud Drive.
  2. the option button is to the right of iCloud Drive in settings. The instructions you reference are correct

Similar questions

6 replies

Nov 5, 2022 6:22 PM in response to Aram from CA

You cannot backup the full contents of your Mac to iCloud, just the files in iCloud Drive, desktop & documents, and any apps through which you save files into iCloud. Backing up to Time Machine backs up everything allowing for a full restoration of the current state of your Mac.

Are you using the most recent version of MacOS? You may have an older version that did not support desktop and documents.

Apple iCloud Drive instructions not matching reality

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.