Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want step-by-step instructions on how to disable iCloud Drive without losing any of my files on my iMac

I want to disable iCloud drive. I started trying to do it a couple of days ago and I terminated the process because it seemed like I was going to lose some information somewhere. Lately I have been getting odd information from my iCloud Drive such as music is downloading to my music app that I do not have saved in iCloud Drive and I am not an Apple Music subscriber.

The bottom line is whether or not I go ahead and disable iCloud Drive I would like to know how to do it step-by-step all the way to the end without endangering any of my files.

iMac

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 5:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 6:10 PM

Go to System Settings > Apple ID > iCloud turn off iCloud Drive.

Provided that you did not elect to optimize files in iCloud, all files remain on your Mac (you'll be presented with the option to keep downloaded files). You can also move anything out of the iCloud Drive folder to another location on your Mac.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2022 6:10 PM in response to Gary Davison

Go to System Settings > Apple ID > iCloud turn off iCloud Drive.

Provided that you did not elect to optimize files in iCloud, all files remain on your Mac (you'll be presented with the option to keep downloaded files). You can also move anything out of the iCloud Drive folder to another location on your Mac.

Nov 5, 2022 5:41 PM in response to Gary Davison

Gary Davison Said:

"I want step-by-step instructions on how to disable iCloud Drive without losing any of my files on my iMac: [...]The bottom line is whether or not I go ahead and disable iCloud Drive I would like to know how to do it step-by-step all the way to the end without endangering any of my files."

-------

Safely Performing an iCloud Downgrade:

See Here:: Downgrade or Cancel your iCloud+ Plan - Apple Support

Use my user tip: Getting a Quick and Direct "iCloud Drive-to-External Hard Drive" Download - User Tip

I want step-by-step instructions on how to disable iCloud Drive without losing any of my files on my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.