Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using an external SSD to boot and to storage files

Is it possible to install MacOs in one partition instead of using the entire external SSD drive?

I'd like to have two partitions: one for personal file storage and another one with the MacOS so I can boot from it in case my internal SSD fails.

From the tutorials I've read, it easy to format the external SSD and then download the MacOS installer and install it in the external drive directly, but I wonder if the external drive could be used at the same time as a bootable one and for personal storage, and I wonder I would need one dedicated partition to the MacOS and if it would be possible to install the MacOS in a particular partition.

I have a MacBook Air (intel, from 2017) and a 2TB external SSD.

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Nov 6, 2022 7:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2022 8:28 AM

Yes, you can do that; I have severl external drives with partitions (now called volumes) - you can partition it using Disk Utility I do not have new silicon Mac so you can research using a silicon chip Mac, but it definitely works on Intel Macs.

Partition it first, name them, and then you can use one as a bootable clone and the other for storage.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2022 8:28 AM in response to laurajmc_

Yes, you can do that; I have severl external drives with partitions (now called volumes) - you can partition it using Disk Utility I do not have new silicon Mac so you can research using a silicon chip Mac, but it definitely works on Intel Macs.

Partition it first, name them, and then you can use one as a bootable clone and the other for storage.

Using an external SSD to boot and to storage files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.