Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding Second Music Library Carries Over Songs From Original Library

Greetings:

I wanted to have a separate Music library on MacOS to keep music from my DJ library separate.

While I am able to create a new music library via Option-open, for some reason in the Playlists portion of the sidebar, the "Recently Added," "Artists" and "Songs" sections have tunes from my previous library's nd I do not want them there.

I'm unsure if deleting them from the new library will affect the original songs in the original library.

I could use some guidance on resolving this. I'd like to only see the new songs that I populate in the new library.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 6, 2022 7:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2022 4:11 AM

Hi,

When you are signed into your Apple ID in Music the library will show any local files that have been added to it and any of your unhidden purchases that are in the cloud. You should be able to use View > Only Downloaded Music to limit the display to the local content only. Alternatively you could download any of the purchases that you want into your new library, then select and delete the remaining items, hiding from your purchase history when prompted. They can always be unhidden again at a later date. See Hide and unhide music, movies, TV shows, audiobooks, and books - Apple Support for details.

tt2

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2022 4:11 AM in response to Velanche Stewart

Hi,

When you are signed into your Apple ID in Music the library will show any local files that have been added to it and any of your unhidden purchases that are in the cloud. You should be able to use View > Only Downloaded Music to limit the display to the local content only. Alternatively you could download any of the purchases that you want into your new library, then select and delete the remaining items, hiding from your purchase history when prompted. They can always be unhidden again at a later date. See Hide and unhide music, movies, TV shows, audiobooks, and books - Apple Support for details.

tt2

Nov 8, 2022 5:11 PM in response to Velanche Stewart

Hey Velanche Stewart,

We understand you've been able to successfully create a second library, but noticing that some things are still mixed up with regard to your playlists. This might be expected behavior, however we do have some options which might allow you to accomplish your goal here.

First off, you could try changing where the files for your DJ library are stored to separate them from your personal files and see if that makes any difference. For help with doing so, complete these steps:

Change where imported files are stored
1. In the Music app  on your Mac, choose Music > Settings, then click Files.
2. Click Change, then select a new location for your files.

From now on, new songs and other items you import are stored in the new location. Songs you’ve already imported stay in their current location.

If you change your mind and want to store imported files in the default folder again, choose Music > Settings, click Files, then click Reset.

If that doesn't produce the results you're looking for, we'd suggest creating a new user account and using one for your DJ work, and the other for personal use. This should ensure everything stays separate. For help with creating a new user account, check out: Add a user or group on Mac

We hope this helps out.

Take care!

Nov 12, 2022 10:09 PM in response to UTBadger

Greets:

Thanks for the helpful reply; it helps clarify a few things.

With Preferences-->Files not having anything checked, I created a new library. However, in the "Songs" playlist, some 600 songs were populated. I'm not sure if it's referencing another library, and I'd like those songs to not be part of that library. But if I were to delete them, would it have any adverse effects if those songs were located in other Music app libraries?

Thanks!

Adding Second Music Library Carries Over Songs From Original Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.