Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can an older IPad get an update to IOS 16 maybe thru an email link???

I have an iPad Air 2nd Gen and it works great, but can't get anymore updates. Now my Outlook email which I use for work, won't receive emails, but my Yahoo and Gmail do.

Posted on Nov 7, 2022 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2022 11:16 AM

The newest version of iPadOS supported by the iPad Air2 is iPadOS 15.7.1. The iPad Air2 cannot be updated to iPadOS16.x.

For information, here is a list of the highest version of iOS supported by the older models of iPad (for simplicity - “generations” are shortened to a number) that are restricted in their ability to be updated:

32-bit devices

iPad1 - iOS 5.1.1

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 - iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models), iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad4 - iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only), iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & Cellular)

64-bit devices

iPad Air1, iPad mini2 and iPad mini3 - iOS 12.5.6

iPad Air2, iPad mini4 - iPadOS 15.7.1

If you require iPadOS16 or later, you will require a newer model that is capable of update to iPadOS 16.1 or later. Supported iPad models are:

• iPad Pro (all models)
  • iPad Air (3rd generation and later)
  • iPad (5th generation and later)
  • iPad mini (5th generation and later)
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2022 11:16 AM in response to Nvizble

The newest version of iPadOS supported by the iPad Air2 is iPadOS 15.7.1. The iPad Air2 cannot be updated to iPadOS16.x.

For information, here is a list of the highest version of iOS supported by the older models of iPad (for simplicity - “generations” are shortened to a number) that are restricted in their ability to be updated:

32-bit devices

iPad1 - iOS 5.1.1

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 - iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models), iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad4 - iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only), iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & Cellular)

64-bit devices

iPad Air1, iPad mini2 and iPad mini3 - iOS 12.5.6

iPad Air2, iPad mini4 - iPadOS 15.7.1

If you require iPadOS16 or later, you will require a newer model that is capable of update to iPadOS 16.1 or later. Supported iPad models are:

• iPad Pro (all models)
  • iPad Air (3rd generation and later)
  • iPad (5th generation and later)
  • iPad mini (5th generation and later)

Can an older IPad get an update to IOS 16 maybe thru an email link???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.