Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ventura 13.0 has renderd my MFP useless

My HP Laserjet MFP283fdw just will not work with my MacBook Pro IOS Ventura 130.....since the recent upgrade?.....I have had some problems with the previous IOS...but it became ''better'' as various driver updates were released?.....This is now becoming a serious problem from me...I even reset my Macbook...still no luck?n Please help?

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 6:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 3:41 AM

Hi,

The HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M283fdw is listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support, and should be compatible with macOS (Ventura) without additional drivers/software/apps, provided that the printer and the Mac computer are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router).

https://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4aa7-7832enuc

AirPrint works with wireless or wired network connections. It may be advantageous to wire the printer by Ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports of a Wi-Fi router instead of using a wireless connection. The Mac and other computers/devices can still print wirelessly via the router.

If you want to use the AirPrint technology, and there is a problem with device discovery, the following full power-cycle procedure (in this order, with these waiting times) may help:

Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printer, the Mac, and all other devices/computers. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the Mac. Finally, power on all other devices/computers.

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

The AirPrint printing ability (without an additional app) can also be tested via an iPhone or iPad.

Use AirPrint to print from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2022 3:41 AM in response to Kevin Bouah

Hi,

The HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M283fdw is listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support, and should be compatible with macOS (Ventura) without additional drivers/software/apps, provided that the printer and the Mac computer are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router).

https://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4aa7-7832enuc

AirPrint works with wireless or wired network connections. It may be advantageous to wire the printer by Ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports of a Wi-Fi router instead of using a wireless connection. The Mac and other computers/devices can still print wirelessly via the router.

If you want to use the AirPrint technology, and there is a problem with device discovery, the following full power-cycle procedure (in this order, with these waiting times) may help:

Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printer, the Mac, and all other devices/computers. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the Mac. Finally, power on all other devices/computers.

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

The AirPrint printing ability (without an additional app) can also be tested via an iPhone or iPad.

Use AirPrint to print from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Nov 8, 2022 7:06 AM in response to Kevin Bouah

Kevin Bouah wrote:

My HP Laserjet MFP283fdw just will not work with my MacBook Pro IOS Ventura 130.....since the recent upgrade?.....I have had some problems with the previous IOS...but it became ''better'' as various driver updates were released?.....This is now becoming a serious problem from me...I even reset my Macbook...still no luck?n Please help?

?

If this a printer issue(?)

Printers/scanners are typically the first causality in upgrading any OS...nothing new here.

Solve printing problems on Mac

Solve printing problems on Mac - Apple Support

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac - Apple Support

If it is listed as AirPrint printer, delete the existing printer in

> System Settings> Printers & Scanners, and add it again, select AirPrint.

Connect an AirPrint printer to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support.

Connect an AirPrint printer to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

about AirPrint

About AirPrint - Apple Support

If in doubt refer to the developers website; Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility/updates/uninstall:

Contact a third party vendor

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

Official HP® Support

Printer Support

Software and Drivers

if still no insight or resolve—

If you can't find an updated driver for your printer give the open-source, free Gutenprint driver a try.

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php

Vuescan drivers

https://www.hamrick.com/purchase-vuescan.html

Nov 9, 2022 1:19 AM in response to Kevin Bouah

Since your Windows PC only occasionally sees it, that implies your network or the printer itself are an issue here.

Regardless I would also suggest you not use the HP Smart app and just add the printer through the normal Ventura interface.

If your Mac doesn’t see it, again that implies a network or hardware issue elsewhere.

Nov 9, 2022 12:02 AM in response to Dogcow-Moof

When the HP Smart App launches and I print a document....it says ''add'' a printer.

When trying to add the printer....it says ''printer not found''...whether the IP address is added or not.

When adding printer via the Ventura 13.0 system....it indicates that the printer is available...then prompts me to add a printer....then says ''a problem has occurred''...see attach screenshots ?...

Nov 11, 2022 2:41 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Hi Jan

So Im pleased to advise, that after trying the ''AirPrint'' method...it didn't work....as the AirPrint ''couldn't be found and it gravitated to the HP driver....all the time...even after resetting, Printer, Macbook, Router etc,etc.

I rest my HP Laserjet printer and connected my MacBook Pro via USB (cable) to the printer.....that immediately ''sorted'' the problem and I could print and scan. The same driver was installed, btw, and the printer stayed overnight connected to my MacBook Pro. I printed another few items this morning and then moved it Bach to the printer shelving...and it works via wireless - perfectly!

Thank You so much for the input!

Kevin R

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.