Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

format view of mail ios 16

How to change where the buttons are in the ios16 mail and also change the view of the email bc it is now very small and I want it to fill the screen like it used to. The buttons are counter-intuitive on where trash is vis-a-vis the forward/reply and new message buttons. And, the default format of the message is a total waste of screen and is less readable than previous versions.

iPad Pro, 12.9-inch, 6th Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 2:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 3:13 PM

You can order the buttons within the toolbar as you wish. While the Customise dialogue is open, the buttons will jiggle; you can simply drag the buttons into the relative positions of your choice.

Many users will continue to use the older Action Menu, while others may like the additional flexibility of the new configurable toolbar. Opinions will vary - but you have flexibility to use either, or both.

Apple do invite submission of constructive feedback and feature requests via its Product Feedback portal:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2022 3:13 PM in response to htwoopup

You can order the buttons within the toolbar as you wish. While the Customise dialogue is open, the buttons will jiggle; you can simply drag the buttons into the relative positions of your choice.

Many users will continue to use the older Action Menu, while others may like the additional flexibility of the new configurable toolbar. Opinions will vary - but you have flexibility to use either, or both.

Apple do invite submission of constructive feedback and feature requests via its Product Feedback portal:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

Nov 8, 2022 3:41 PM in response to htwoopup

You are very welcome. I’m delighted that the Mail toolbar issue is resolved.

Email messages can viewed as full screen should you choose to do so.

To view an email full-screen, first find the email message that you wish to view in mailbox list of email messages, then:

• Touch-and-hold (i.e., a long touch) the message that you wish to see full screen; an Action Menu will appear.
  • From the menu, tap Open in New Window; this will open your chosen mail message in its own window.
  • At top-centre of the window, you will see the multitasking trigger button “…”; tap the button
  • Tap the Full Screen button; the current viewing window will transform to a full screen view:

More information about multi-tasking features of iPadOS can be found in this support page:

Use multitasking on your iPad - Apple Support

The iPad User Guide is also a rich source of information about using iPad and its many features. The Guide is available both online using a web browser (such as Safari), or as an Apple Books download:

iPad User Guide - Apple Support

https://books.apple.com/book/id1567104892

Nov 8, 2022 2:56 PM in response to htwoopup

Presumably you refer to the action buttons now located at the top of the mail window in the new toolbar. The toolbar can be customised - buttons added or deleted - by tapping the “…” button at top right of the Mail window:

You can still use the previous button at bottom-right of the Mail Window, to access an Action Menu, just as before:

Nov 8, 2022 2:59 PM in response to LotusPilot

I know you can add and delete…I am talking about their position in relation to each other. For instance, i think the delete key should either be the farthest right or the farthest left. To have it in the middle is pretty non-intuitive for a button which is the most used button. And the “action menu” is a waste as why do I want to click more buttons to make something easier. It is just a UX nightmare.

format view of mail ios 16

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.