Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Daughter’s iPad has my contacts

I gave my daughter my old iPad. We did a complete reset of the iPad. Logged her in with her own Apple ID (she has a kids account). Yet All of my contacts load onto the iPad. In addition, the iPad clock shows the time of whatever time zone that I am in, not where the iPad is. Please help! TIA.

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 5:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 5:55 PM

For iPad and iPhone, signing-out of iCloud does not clear all locally stored data - and unless you are very careful when signing-out from iCloud, you stand a very real risk of having your personal and/or sensitive data (such as your Calendar, Contacts and Keychain/Passwords) being merged with the AppleID account that is next used to sign-in.

Before giving away any device that you have used to someone else, you must completely sanitise an iPad or iPhone of all data. The process that you should follow is documented here:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If your data been merged with your Daughter’s AppleID account, there is no easy way to undo the data merge. You must manually remove the data. Each unwanted contact, diary entry, password etc. must be individually deleted.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2022 5:55 PM in response to toltman

For iPad and iPhone, signing-out of iCloud does not clear all locally stored data - and unless you are very careful when signing-out from iCloud, you stand a very real risk of having your personal and/or sensitive data (such as your Calendar, Contacts and Keychain/Passwords) being merged with the AppleID account that is next used to sign-in.

Before giving away any device that you have used to someone else, you must completely sanitise an iPad or iPhone of all data. The process that you should follow is documented here:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If your data been merged with your Daughter’s AppleID account, there is no easy way to undo the data merge. You must manually remove the data. Each unwanted contact, diary entry, password etc. must be individually deleted.

Nov 12, 2022 4:10 PM in response to toltman

How?

During sign-out, you have prompted opportunity to save a local copy of your iCloud data. Should you do so - and save a local copy of this data during sign-out - this data is automatically merged with the AppleID account next used to sign-in to iCloud. For those users wishing to move/transfer data from one AppleID account to another, this function is desirable.

However, some users fail to understand the significance of the prompt that they see during sign-out - and this can lead to unintended transfer of sensitive or personal data, via the iPad, to another user. It is for this reason that the correct process is followed prior to transferring a device to a new user.

it is critical that you do not attempt to sign-in to a different AppleID account unless it is your intention to have this data merged as this data will be merged with the AppleID account to which you sign-in.

Daughter’s iPad has my contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.