Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Faceid passwords

I want to turn off my faceid for passwords, but then it automatically fills in my password without asking for my passcode. Is this a bug, or has this always been the case

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 8:11 AM

5 replies

Nov 11, 2022 12:07 PM in response to Kkerklaan

Hi there Kkerklaan,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

To help us out, are you using Autofill for purchasing apps or visiting websites?

For information about using passcodes and autofill, check out these articles:

Automatically fill in strong passwords on iPhone - Apple Support

"Automatically fill in strong passwords on iPhone

When you sign up for services on websites and in apps, you can let iPhone create strong passwords for many of your accounts.

iPhone stores the passwords in iCloud Keychain and fills them in for you automatically, so you don’t have to memorize them.

Note: Instead of requiring you to sign in with passwords, participating websites and apps support these alternatives:

Require a password for App Store and iTunes purchases - Apple Support

"You can choose how often you want to enter your password when you buy items (including in-app purchases) from the App Store and iTunes Store:

• Always Require — Every time you make a purchase, you'll be asked to enter your password, even if you're signed in with your Apple ID.
  • Require After 15 Minutes — If you entered your password within the last 15 minutes, you won't be asked to enter your password again.

If you don't want to enter a password when you download free items, follow the steps below and turn off password protection for free items.

Require a password on your iPhone or iPad

1. Open the Settings app.
  2. Tap your name.
  3. Tap Media & Purchases.
  4. Tap Password Settings, then choose the setting that you want.

If you don't see Password Settings, you have turned on Face ID or Touch ID for App Store and iTunes Purchases. To change this, go back to Settings, tap "Face ID & Passcode" or "Touch ID & Passcode", then turn off Face ID or Touch ID next to iTunes & App Store."

Cheers!

Nov 11, 2022 2:32 PM in response to Kkerklaan

Hi Kkerklaan,

This would be expected behavior. If Face ID is disabled for Password Autofill, it will not require Face ID or a passcode to fill your keychain passwords in. You can prevent your iPhone from automatically filling in the password by disabling Auto fill passwords. You can do this by going to Settings > Passwords > Password Options.

Automatically fill in strong passwords on iPhone - Apple Support

Have a good one!

Faceid passwords

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.