Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing contacts on iCloud.com and MacBook Pro after iOS 16, Ventura update

I recently noticed that after updating my MacBook Pro 14" to macOS Ventura 13.0 it started showing phone numbers and mail addresses in Messages instead of the contact name. I noticed these contacts are no longer in my contacts app. On my iPhone 14 Pro and iPad Pro everything's fine. Heading over to iCloud.com and looking into the contacts there, I noticed these contacts are also missing there as well.

I already tried signing out and in again of my iCloud account on my macbook. Stopped syncing contacts on my mac and after restart re-enabled it. But I guess since the contacts are also missing on icloud.com it just doesn't get all these contacts when synching. Yesterday I have updated to iOS 16.1.1 and Ventura 13.0.1 but unfortunately this did not help as well (even after restart, stopping contacts sync, etc.).

I have exported my contacts on my iPhone just to be safe.

Any ideas what I could try?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 11:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2022 12:07 AM

Ok, inporting vcf on iCloud.com said it could not import due to invalid contact cards. I have now navigated to icloud.com --> account settings --> scrolled to the bottom and under Restore picked an older contact database. Now it's fine again, but had to do the last changes again, obviously.

2 replies

Nov 19, 2022 4:11 AM in response to PeterFitch

Bad news again, same contacts are missing again on iCloud.com and MBP on 13.0.1. I think this is somehow related to the "merge duplicate contacts" feature. Because after restoring the backup, I got "rid" of the duplicates again like I did with my earlier database. Unfortunately now I do not have an older iCloud contacts backup available, all are missing the contacts and all my exported vcf files show the error "invalid contact information" when trying to import via icloud.com. My iPhone and iPad do still have all of my contacts though. However, toggeling off, restart and toggeling on iCloud contacts sync on iPhone and choosing "merge contacts" reuploaded all the missing ones to icloud.com. Hopefully they will stay there as well now.

Missing contacts on iCloud.com and MacBook Pro after iOS 16, Ventura update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.