Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot install Rosetta on Macbook Air M1

I have been trying to install Rosetta but this error keeps showing up. Have restarted a few times but it still doesn't work. My Mac is a Mac Air M1 with Monterey 12.5

2022-11-10 18:24:28.743 softwareupdate[602:6264] Package Authoring Error: 012-42730: Package reference com.apple.pkg.RosettaUpdateAuto is missing installKBytes attribute

Install failed with error: Download failed.

Is there anything I can do about this?

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Nov 10, 2022 1:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2022 2:35 AM

jecklem wrote:

I have been trying to install Rosetta but this error keeps showing up. Have restarted a few times but it still doesn't work. My Mac is a Mac Air M1 with Monterey 12.5
2022-11-10 18:24:28.743 softwareupdate[602:6264] Package Authoring Error: 012-42730: Package reference com.apple.pkg.RosettaUpdateAuto is missing installKBytes attribute

A - I would start by updating the existing Monterey from 12.5 to current Released version 12.6.1

A - Often times, with the update comes various bug fixes and may include an updated version of Rosetta 2

If you need to install Rosetta on your Mac and suggest reading from the link as it explains when Rosetta 2 will be invoked by the Operating System

Rosetta 2 is only available on Apple Computer with the Silicon M1 / M2 CPU. 

There are three categories / types of software that can run on the Operations System.

Only Intel Binary Code. This software will invoke Rosetta 2 to translate the Intel binaries so the operating system can understand and execute the Application. The Applications must be 64 Bit to function on Big Sur and Monterey

Universal Binary Software.  It contains Both Intel and M1 ARMs binary code and refer to (  Universal 2 ) When the user installs a 64 bit Application that contains Both Intel and M1 ARMs binaries - depending on factors, the Operating System may or may not invoke Rosetta 2.

Apple Silicon “ Checking in System Information >> Applications  >> as of now, only see One Application classified as Apple Silicon and that is “ Rosetta 2 Updater “.

That would make perfect sense since. It is specifically designed to operate only on Apple Silicon M1 / M2 ARMs based computers 

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2022 2:35 AM in response to jecklem

jecklem wrote:

A - I would start by updating the existing Monterey from 12.5 to current Released version 12.6.1

A - Often times, with the update comes various bug fixes and may include an updated version of Rosetta 2

If you need to install Rosetta on your Mac and suggest reading from the link as it explains when Rosetta 2 will be invoked by the Operating System

Rosetta 2 is only available on Apple Computer with the Silicon M1 / M2 CPU. 

There are three categories / types of software that can run on the Operations System.

Only Intel Binary Code. This software will invoke Rosetta 2 to translate the Intel binaries so the operating system can understand and execute the Application. The Applications must be 64 Bit to function on Big Sur and Monterey

Universal Binary Software.  It contains Both Intel and M1 ARMs binary code and refer to (  Universal 2 ) When the user installs a 64 bit Application that contains Both Intel and M1 ARMs binaries - depending on factors, the Operating System may or may not invoke Rosetta 2.

Apple Silicon “ Checking in System Information >> Applications  >> as of now, only see One Application classified as Apple Silicon and that is “ Rosetta 2 Updater “.

That would make perfect sense since. It is specifically designed to operate only on Apple Silicon M1 / M2 ARMs based computers 

Cannot install Rosetta on Macbook Air M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.