Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer iPad to a family member and keeping installed apps

Hi,

I want to transfer one of my iPads to one of my children, so change on the iPad my iCloud account to the one of my child, a minor.

• My child is part of my "iCloud Family" and has received access to the apps I acquired.
  • My child has been using that iPad for almost two years and the majority of the apps have been installed for him (hence the reason I want to transfer it).
  • So, as the child is part of the family, I just want to switch the iCloud account on the iPad within having to do a full reset of the iPad, as that would mean reinstalling manually over 100 apps.
  • Although switching iCloud accounts is perfectly possible, it seems that there is one major obstacle. While the child still has access to all of the installed apps using his own iCloud account, he cannot longer update them. In order to update those apps, my iCloud password has to be entered (only the password, not my username).

Is this a bug or normal intended behaviour imposed by Apple? As such, I'm forced to do a reset of my device, so that apps can still be updated. Not very user friendly I have to admit. Any way to avoid this?

Thanks for your insights.

iPad mini, iOS 12

Posted on Nov 11, 2022 1:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2022 2:34 AM

Since bought apps and other content from Apple is tied to the Apple ID that has been used to download them, there is no other way than to disable the Activation Lock and set it up again with the new Apple ID.

Different Apple IDs can't be merged.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

After that you can use family sharing to download the apps again.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2022 2:34 AM in response to Frans0619

Since bought apps and other content from Apple is tied to the Apple ID that has been used to download them, there is no other way than to disable the Activation Lock and set it up again with the new Apple ID.

Different Apple IDs can't be merged.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

After that you can use family sharing to download the apps again.

Transfer iPad to a family member and keeping installed apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.