Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is the Spoken Content voice different to the Start Speaking voice?

If I use the 'Spoken Content' accessibility keyboard shortcut, I hear Siri Voice 1 (UK). But if I right-click on the text and choose 'Start Speaking' I hear a different voice (I think it's Daniel, whom I don't have enabled or even downloaded).

Here's an example: https://youtu.be/MBc9p-u4Jwk

Why is this?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 11, 2022 4:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2022 8:16 AM

Here's the problem/solution to the bug: 'Start Speaking' only supports the basic non-Siri voices. I've just changed the 'Spoken Content' voice to Kate and this also changed the 'Start Speaking' voice. But when I change it to a Siri voice, and 'Start Speaking' reverts to Daniel.

13 replies

Nov 11, 2022 6:58 AM in response to dialabrain

I meant one drop-down menu, not one voice character. Luis Sequeira1 suggested that there are two drop-down menus and, therefore, two different places to select a voice, but that only seems to be in Ventura.

Do you not get different voices? e.g. You've got Spoken Content set to Ava but who do you hear if you choose 'Start Speaking' from the right-click menu?

Why is the Spoken Content voice different to the Start Speaking voice?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.