Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where did "ask to keep changes" go?

I have a sinking feeling "discard changes" is gone...

For the last decade or so since Versions came along, I've been able to prevent macOS from auto-saving by enabling the "Ask to keep changes when closing documents" option in System Preferences --> General. I can no longer find this option in Ventura.

I've already lost work to this and am dreading the fact that it's unavoidable. For example, if I open a photo in Preview, resize, crop it and export it to a different file format, when I close the window macOS overwrites the file on disk with my temporary changes. I want the "dirty" indicator to appear, and to be given the option to discard my changes.

Posted on Nov 11, 2022 6:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2022 7:13 AM

Found it! Came back to report the same, thank you. I searched for every word in the setting, individually. I searched for "discard", "Versions", "dirty", a bunch of things. I googled for the old setting to make sure I was spelling everything right. Nothing. Did you mean "can't find easily" perhaps?

This has made my day, thank you.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2022 7:13 AM in response to Barney-15E

Found it! Came back to report the same, thank you. I searched for every word in the setting, individually. I searched for "discard", "Versions", "dirty", a bunch of things. I googled for the old setting to make sure I was spelling everything right. Nothing. Did you mean "can't find easily" perhaps?

This has made my day, thank you.

Where did "ask to keep changes" go?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.