Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blank screen on MacBook air

I update my MacBook yesterday night and from today morning the screen is showing blank. I tried rebooting and it is the same issue. Can anyone help?

MacBook Air 13″, 12.6

Posted on Nov 12, 2022 1:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2022 3:21 PM

Hi Marathsajeev,

Just to confirm, is your MacBook Air sufficiently charged? Try connecting it to power for 20 mins, and then try to power it on.

Does anything appear on the screen as your MacBook Air starts or attempts to start? If yes, please let me know and ignore the below content. Otherwise, try these steps:

Try clicking the trackpad and/or pressing a few keys, then shine a flashlight at the screen and carefully see if any content appears on the display. If it does, your display backlight has likely failed and will need to be serviced.

If your MacBook Air has the T2 Security Chip (2018 Intel-based model) or an Apple silicon chip (M1, M2), you can try reviving the firmware using a second Mac:

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support (CA)

Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon using Apple Configurator - Apple Support (CA)

If your MacBook Air has an Intel processor (made before Nov. 2020), you can also try resetting the System Management Controller (SMC): Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support (CA)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2022 3:21 PM in response to Marathsajeev

Hi Marathsajeev,

Just to confirm, is your MacBook Air sufficiently charged? Try connecting it to power for 20 mins, and then try to power it on.

Does anything appear on the screen as your MacBook Air starts or attempts to start? If yes, please let me know and ignore the below content. Otherwise, try these steps:

Try clicking the trackpad and/or pressing a few keys, then shine a flashlight at the screen and carefully see if any content appears on the display. If it does, your display backlight has likely failed and will need to be serviced.

If your MacBook Air has the T2 Security Chip (2018 Intel-based model) or an Apple silicon chip (M1, M2), you can try reviving the firmware using a second Mac:

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support (CA)

Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon using Apple Configurator - Apple Support (CA)

If your MacBook Air has an Intel processor (made before Nov. 2020), you can also try resetting the System Management Controller (SMC): Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support (CA)

Blank screen on MacBook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.