Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyway to kill all background apps at same time?

I know you can kill apps running in the background one at a time but is ther any way to kill them all at the same time?

Thanks for any suggestions.

iphone 4, iOS 4, NA

Posted on Aug 14, 2010 4:57 AM

9 replies

Aug 14, 2010 6:03 AM in response to iphonemaniac2009

First of all, not all the apps shown on the multitasking bar are running in the background. In fact, I doubt you have any apps actually running in the background since an app has to be written to take advantage of true multitasking & very few apps have been rewritten to do so. The apps you see listed are actually held in the last state when you used them...more of a rapid app switching if you will. There is no reason to close these apps, & nothing to be gained. They only way to remove the apps listed is to do so one at a time.

Aug 14, 2010 6:52 AM in response to iphonemaniac2009

If you haven't got sausage fingers, you can use two fingers to close each app simultaneously while they sit in the bar. Sadly, even restarting the phone doesn't switch them off which would be the better solution. You can monitor your apps with something like Memoryinfo or alike which will tell you what processes are still running as I always find that the ipod is running even though I haven't launched it!

Aug 14, 2010 7:15 AM in response to iphonemaniac2009

The list we see with a double click of the home button is a Recently Used Apps list.
Very few apps actually use resources in the background. See this link;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_(Apple)#Included_applications
The system has the ability to kill any app that is suspended if it needs memory. If your phone is functioning well then don't worry about the apps on the list. It it is not then Reboot ( hold home and sleep/wake till the Apple logo appears. It that doesn't help then restore. I always restore as a new phone if I have to go that route. Backups can often have the same issue stored within.

We can't remove apps from the task list as a group. If that is a feature that you want, not a bad idea, send feedback to Apple;

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Sep 25, 2012 12:44 PM in response to wjosten

It is true that the Multitasking list is more a list of recently launched apps rather than apps running in the Background; but I would still like an option to clean this list without doing it one by on, since this list grows continually and by the end of the week is no longer usefull as it conatins a list of as much as 50 apps by then, which defeats the purpose of having a quick Switch list of apps

There are also a few Apps that do run tasks in the Background, in my case a couple that I frequently kill when not is use as they tend to kill my battery:

1) Voip Apps (some of them keep running a keep-alive to server and to receive calls)

2) Music Apps which should not use CPU cycles when not playing music, but that I kill because if not it remains as the default Play App

Anyway to kill all background apps at same time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.