Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ventura seems to have broken my ability to properly write third pinyin tone

Hey there,

I study Chinese, and write in pinyin quite a bit. Up until now, I would activate the ABC extended keyboard and press shift+option+V to get the third tone marker, then write the letter it was meant to mark. Worked just fine!

Suddenly, that is no longer working. I believe the problem began with Ventura, but honestly, it seems to have started sometime after the update.

Update : This is also now happening on my iPad running iPadOS 16. And note that the Mac is running 13.0.

When I do that same procedure now, it looks like this:

̌e - as you can see the letter is displaced to the right, whereas formerly it would be : ě

This is happening with all letters with third tones. Anyone have any ideas?

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Nov 12, 2022 9:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2022 9:51 AM

You are mistaken about the shortcut. Shift option V is for when you type the e first. Option v is for when you type the e after the tone mark.

2 replies

Ventura seems to have broken my ability to properly write third pinyin tone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.