Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is a duplicate photos?

I have a 2TB library and the vast majority (95%+) of the duplicates being found are my edited photos.

A photo I edit through LightRoom typically is returned as a new import and then added to a slideshow album and perhaps a 2nd album which designates the type of photo (beach, airplanes, hotrods...) so is there 3 copies or just one to be shared in 3 locations?

Since they're in 3 locations will merging them delete 2 of the locations?

Is it possible that priorly photos created 3 photos for all 3 locations and now just shares one photo in the 3 locations?

I'm trying to avoid spending days to rebuild my library shall the duplicate folder start to depopulate my albums.

I love the feature but I can not find much information on it other than fluff articles.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 12, 2022 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2022 10:45 AM

so is there 3 copies or just one to be shared in 3 locations?

One copy. Albums are not "locations" like folders in the Finder. They're just ad hoc groupings of photographs displayed together. Music tracks in iTunes/Music app are the same. One track in different groupings. So it's the same image in each album. For instance, if you edit the image in one place it will be edited in them all.

I'm not sure what you mean by "merging" in this context.

Worth considering: why, if you have Lightroom, are you using Photos at all? It's a far more powerful app.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2022 10:45 AM in response to JimboP

so is there 3 copies or just one to be shared in 3 locations?

One copy. Albums are not "locations" like folders in the Finder. They're just ad hoc groupings of photographs displayed together. Music tracks in iTunes/Music app are the same. One track in different groupings. So it's the same image in each album. For instance, if you edit the image in one place it will be edited in them all.

I'm not sure what you mean by "merging" in this context.

Worth considering: why, if you have Lightroom, are you using Photos at all? It's a far more powerful app.

Nov 18, 2022 10:45 AM in response to Yer_Man

Merging as in the Photos Duplicate folder recommends merging the photos, I guess another way of saying removing one.

I use the photos app instead of LightRoom Library because I enjoy the way everything syncs between multiple IOS devices and the slideshow feature on my AppleTV.

Just a FYI for you and all, the Photos Edit function is getting dang close to my stand alone LightRoom 6, the last year to purchase without subscription. I imagine it will be just as powerful in a few years. Although I'm unaware of what the current version of LR is currently capable of.

Thank you for the great answer. I am trying to reduce my library below 2TB to transfer to an SSD and moving forward keeping all my new Photos Libraries on smaller SSDs, this Library is the weakest (slowest) link in my setup.

what is a duplicate photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.