Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unaable to open photos

I am reading an article in an e-magazine, and the photos are replaced by a rectangle and small blue square in the middle, with a question mark. See attached screenshot below. I have seen these many times in the past but now it happens more often. Maybe I have changed a setting somewhere but I don't know where. Any advice please?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 13, 2022 1:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2022 10:50 AM

Howdy,

Searching Safari Help for "images" I see the Help Topic "If you don’t see images on a webpage in Safari on Mac".

1. In the Safari app on your Mac, choose View > Reload Page, or click the Reload button at the right end of the Smart Search field.
    2. Try a different website.
    3. If the images on that site appear, the problem may be limited to the other website; contact the owner.
    4. If there’s a Develop menu in the menu bar, check it to see if images are disabled.
    5. See Use the developer tools in the Develop menu in Safari.
    6. Click and hold the Reload button , then choose Reload Without Content Blockers.
    7. The images might be blocked by a Content Blocker you have installed. See if the issue occurs without the Content Blocker.

I couldn't seem to get the "Reload Without Content Blockers" to work with the Reload button, but you might want to check the settings for Content Blockers.

Safari > Preferences > Websites > Content Blockers (on the left).

Also, if you hold the Option key down, View > Reload Page becomes View > Reload Page From Origin. Not sure if that will help, but it's an option :-).

Like it says above, if the issue is with a particular web site or domain, it's probably and issue with that.

I would also try with other browsers, like Firefox, Chrome, Vivaldi, Opera, Waterfox or whatever. I sometimes have an issue with one browser where another works fine.

ivan

Edit, If you don’t see the Develop menu in the menu bar, choose Safari > Preferences, click Advanced, then select “Show Develop menu in menu bar.”

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2022 10:50 AM in response to Bob593251

Howdy,

Searching Safari Help for "images" I see the Help Topic "If you don’t see images on a webpage in Safari on Mac".

1. In the Safari app on your Mac, choose View > Reload Page, or click the Reload button at the right end of the Smart Search field.
    2. Try a different website.
    3. If the images on that site appear, the problem may be limited to the other website; contact the owner.
    4. If there’s a Develop menu in the menu bar, check it to see if images are disabled.
    5. See Use the developer tools in the Develop menu in Safari.
    6. Click and hold the Reload button , then choose Reload Without Content Blockers.
    7. The images might be blocked by a Content Blocker you have installed. See if the issue occurs without the Content Blocker.

I couldn't seem to get the "Reload Without Content Blockers" to work with the Reload button, but you might want to check the settings for Content Blockers.

Safari > Preferences > Websites > Content Blockers (on the left).

Also, if you hold the Option key down, View > Reload Page becomes View > Reload Page From Origin. Not sure if that will help, but it's an option :-).

Like it says above, if the issue is with a particular web site or domain, it's probably and issue with that.

I would also try with other browsers, like Firefox, Chrome, Vivaldi, Opera, Waterfox or whatever. I sometimes have an issue with one browser where another works fine.

ivan

Edit, If you don’t see the Develop menu in the menu bar, choose Safari > Preferences, click Advanced, then select “Show Develop menu in menu bar.”

Dec 11, 2022 2:35 PM in response to Bob593251

Howdy,

Sorry for the delay.

Content blockers are third-party apps and extensions that let Safari block cookies, images, resources, pop-ups, and other content.

They can "clean up" your browsing experience by blocking content you don't want to see.

As mentioned you would find them in Safari > Preferences > Websites > Content Blockers and be able to disable them from there.

ivan

unaable to open photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.