Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Ventura and MacBook Air M1 and significant delay in starting apps

On my MacBook Air M1 I used to get a really fast response when launching apps. Either if it was from the Application folder or from Dock, the lunch or interaction before the app lunch was instant.

When I click on an app icon in a Dock, the icon starts bouncing giving an indication that the app is launching. That was a pre-upgrade to macOS Ventura.

Straight away after updating to Ventura I noticed that everything is significantly low.

When I click on most of the apps nothing happens for like 3-5 seconds before the icon starts bouncing giving an indication that is starting. You may think that 3-5 seconds is nothing, but you may start thinking that there is something wrong so you click on an app again.

It's really annoying issue and affects all non-Apple apps.

All the apps I tested are dedicated Apple Silicon apps or Universal. None of them is pre-M1 hence I exclude the issue with Rosetta.

Apps are like this:

• iA Writer
  • Microsoft Edge
  • MacPaw Spy Buster
  • Microsoft Word and other MS apps
  • coconutBattery

You can see that it's not always because of the size of the app. Some are huge others small, same behaviour. What is interesting is that some apps start as expected, hence this looks like some kind of macOS Ventura compatibility issue.

This behaviour happens mostly on the first run of the app. After closing the app and re-lunching again, the app responsiveness when the icon is clicked is as you expect. You got a straightaway response by bouncing the app.

Same when you lunching the app from the Application folder. The icon appears in a dock straight away when launched, but in Ventura, you can see the delay.

I tried to do various cleaning procedures including OnyX or CleanMyMac but the behaviour still exists.

Posted on Nov 13, 2022 12:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2022 12:49 AM

After an in-depth investigation, I found out that the issue was caused by Bitdefender. It looks like during the upgrade to macOS Ventura the antivirus hasn't been ready and scanning apps on lunch (some of them) take longer than expected. Uninstall, restart and install again to resolve the issue for now.

Just information for others who may experience this kind of issue to do the same.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2022 12:49 AM in response to Daz-UK

After an in-depth investigation, I found out that the issue was caused by Bitdefender. It looks like during the upgrade to macOS Ventura the antivirus hasn't been ready and scanning apps on lunch (some of them) take longer than expected. Uninstall, restart and install again to resolve the issue for now.

Just information for others who may experience this kind of issue to do the same.

macOS Ventura and MacBook Air M1 and significant delay in starting apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.