Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad photos to iCloud sync

Fear of losing all my photos:

I am trying to turn on icloud photos on my ipad, but I am afraid to because it prompts me with:

Photos Synced from Finder will be Removed.

Syncing photos via Finder is not supported when icloud Photos is turned on.

12096 photos will be removed.

Am I deleted photos only from Finder or from everywhere?

iPad, iOS 9

Posted on Nov 13, 2022 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2022 10:56 AM

When you turn on iCloud Photos on your iPad, any photos on the iPad that were placed onto the iPad by syncing them from a computer (Mac Finder or iTunes in Windows or Mac) are deleted from the iPad. The photos are deleted from the iPad but not from the computer they were synced from.

Normally, those photos would still be on your computer (assuming that you didn't delete them from there) and you could manually upload them from the computer to the Photos app at iCloud.com and they would then sync back to the iPad via iCloud Photos. You could also AirDrop them from the computer to the iPad or turn on iCloud Photos on the computer and that would result in them being synced back to the iPad.

This is also discussed in the following excerpt from Get help with iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Any photos or videos that you copy to your device through iTunes or the Finder are not copied in iCloud Photos. 

Upload originals from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac

To upload original, full resolution versions of your photo library to your Mac, turn on iCloud Photos on your Mac

Copy photos from your Mac to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. Make sure that you're signed in with the same Apple ID on your computer and your device.
  2. Unlock your iOS device and turn on AirDrop.
  3. Open a new Finder window on your Mac and choose AirDrop in the sidebar.
  4. Drag the photos to the icon for the iOS or iPadOS device in the Finder window.

Upload photos from your PC

Learn how to upload photos and videos to iCloud Photos

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2022 10:56 AM in response to Islandgirlx

When you turn on iCloud Photos on your iPad, any photos on the iPad that were placed onto the iPad by syncing them from a computer (Mac Finder or iTunes in Windows or Mac) are deleted from the iPad. The photos are deleted from the iPad but not from the computer they were synced from.

Normally, those photos would still be on your computer (assuming that you didn't delete them from there) and you could manually upload them from the computer to the Photos app at iCloud.com and they would then sync back to the iPad via iCloud Photos. You could also AirDrop them from the computer to the iPad or turn on iCloud Photos on the computer and that would result in them being synced back to the iPad.

This is also discussed in the following excerpt from Get help with iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Any photos or videos that you copy to your device through iTunes or the Finder are not copied in iCloud Photos. 

Upload originals from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac

To upload original, full resolution versions of your photo library to your Mac, turn on iCloud Photos on your Mac

Copy photos from your Mac to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. Make sure that you're signed in with the same Apple ID on your computer and your device.
  2. Unlock your iOS device and turn on AirDrop.
  3. Open a new Finder window on your Mac and choose AirDrop in the sidebar.
  4. Drag the photos to the icon for the iOS or iPadOS device in the Finder window.

Upload photos from your PC

Learn how to upload photos and videos to iCloud Photos

iPad photos to iCloud sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.