Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup on 2 devices

If my iPhone backs up, why do I also need to backup my iPad Pro? They are in sync so if iPhone is backed up I have everything safe no?

iPad 2, 9

Posted on Nov 13, 2022 6:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2022 12:40 PM

iCloud is really efficient in the manner that it stores and backs-up your backup data.

Your iPhone and iPad may synchronise via iCloud - and for data that can be accessed using iCloud, this data is not included within the individual device backups. The individual device backups include the data and device settings that are not themselves synchronised (and stored as accessible data) in iCloud.

As such, backing-up your individual devices completes the jigsaw.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2022 12:40 PM in response to MiriamFernandez

iCloud is really efficient in the manner that it stores and backs-up your backup data.

Your iPhone and iPad may synchronise via iCloud - and for data that can be accessed using iCloud, this data is not included within the individual device backups. The individual device backups include the data and device settings that are not themselves synchronised (and stored as accessible data) in iCloud.

As such, backing-up your individual devices completes the jigsaw.

Nov 14, 2022 1:54 PM in response to MiriamFernandez

MiriamFernandez Said:

"Backup on 2 devices : [...]Doesn’t a backup take storage on both devices?"

-------

No. All is sent to an external storage source(i.e. iCloud or a computer). Each device has own own data on it, even if syncs with iCloud. For instance, items downloaded to the phone that are never on iCloud are inaccessible to your iPad and all other devices. Moreover, should the device fail, you can recover info from the backup in the future. If you need contacts, then you'd export them from the backup. So, keeping individual backups as always a wise decision.

Backup on 2 devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.