Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding a Connected Clip Transition freezes timeline playback

Has anyone had this issue?

Occasionally, when I add a transition to a connected clip I can no longer use the timeline. Clicking into the browser or hitting the tab key will get it out of this "locked" state.

In the video I go into detail and demo the behaviour.

https://youtu.be/pFKULnt-PKQ

Mac mini, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 14, 2022 8:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2022 8:27 AM

That's weird.

And when the application acts up, usually the first thing to try is to delete its preferences.

To delete preferences, hold down command and option while starting FCP X and click Delete Preferences.

The application will start in a default state, and open an "Untitled" library. Reopen the library you were working on, set the preferences the way you like them, and try again.

With any luck, this may be enough.

If the problem persists, we are going to need to know more.

Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2022 8:27 AM in response to dtmp

That's weird.

And when the application acts up, usually the first thing to try is to delete its preferences.

To delete preferences, hold down command and option while starting FCP X and click Delete Preferences.

The application will start in a default state, and open an "Untitled" library. Reopen the library you were working on, set the preferences the way you like them, and try again.

With any luck, this may be enough.

If the problem persists, we are going to need to know more.

Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

Nov 14, 2022 11:11 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks. That appears to have fixed it. I cannot make it occur anymore in my quick tests.

In all my watching and reading fcpx stuff this is the first time I've ever heard of the "delete preferences" fix.

How often do you use this procedure in your everyday use of fcpx?

Must be common if there is a shortcut key to accomplish this.

Nov 14, 2022 11:18 AM in response to dtmp

I don't use it very often, but it should be used whenever there is a crash, because then it is almost certain that the file gets corrupted. And, perhaps surprisingly, corrupted preference files can cause applications to behave in crazy ways. It is not just FCP, but also Motion, Compressor, and even the Finder. So when some otherwise inexplicable behavior is detected, deleting preferences is worth a try.

Adding a Connected Clip Transition freezes timeline playback

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.