Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transfer of files from PC to iMAC

What would be the process of transferring my files from a PC to my new iMAC M1?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Nov 14, 2022 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2022 8:25 AM

Put the files on an external hard drive and connect the drive to the new Mac and drag and drop. NEVER EVER use Wi-Fi, it fails almost always. The 2nd best method is to connect the two machines via an Ethernet connection and drag and drop. Have you read Move your data from a Windows PC to a Mac - Apple Support?

6 replies

Nov 25, 2022 7:37 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Ah!!!! Migration Assistant constantly shows Google and Edge as being open when they aren't. I've tried shutting down to no avail. I connected the two machines via Ethernet, but with the Migration Assistant not cooperating, I will try the connection to an external hard drive. Will I need a "special" connector and where on the MAC do I go to search for the external drive once it is hooked up? I'm committed to MAC, so I only revert to my PC when I can't find help on the MAC for the MAC...peace

Nov 25, 2022 8:32 AM in response to d907ie

New Macs use USB C, if you have older external drives that use USB A or USB B then yes, you need a simple USB A to USB C adapter, less than $10 on Amazon. For example:

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Benfei-Compatible-MacBook-Samsung/dp/B07VP4R8P5/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=3B1PLNCNU3HLO&keywords=usb+a+to+usb+c+adapter&qid=1669393908&sprefix=usb+a+to+%2Caps%2C291&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

There are many others in the same price range, just do a search in Amazon for USB A to USB C adapter and you will find them.

Nov 25, 2022 9:57 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Okay! I'm assuming the one they sold me at the Apple Store isn't what I need (USB-C TO USB ADAPTER)-:(. Back to the drawing board. What I don't understand (besides a lot) is why my iMAC can't (with my knowledge) move photos and videos on my iPad to the iMac so I can use them creating video clips. I see iCloud, but the iCloud on my iPad shows way more than what the iCloud on my iMac shows...curiouser and curiouser

transfer of files from PC to iMAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.