Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad 2021 charging issue

I have a new iPad 2021 9th generation (I can’t find in the list), purchased about a month ago. I’m using the charger and cable that came with it and I’m finding it very slow to charge, particularly when powered off. An example I plugged it in to charge and turned it off with 26% battery, I left it for at least an hour, nearer to 1hr 30mins before I switched it off. When I turned it on it was only charged to 35%!! It’s now charging while it’s turned on and has charged from 35% to 68% in about an hour. Is it normal that it would take so long while turned off? Or is there likely a fault ?

iPad (10th gen) WiFi

Posted on Nov 15, 2022 2:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2022 2:33 AM

As described, your charging performance is perhaps not as it should be. If any difference in charging behaviour should occur, your iPad would be expected to charge more quickly when not being actively used.

These support pages should help with troubleshooting battery and charging issues:

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

Troubleshooting generally requires substitution of the Power Adapter and cable for another known-good item. Most models of iPad require a Power Adapter rated at 12W or greater to reliably charge. 5W Power Adapters intended for older models of iPhone are inadequate to charge an iPad; if the iPad charges at all, charging will be very slow.

Be aware that many computer USB ports cannot source sufficient power to charge an iPad. Unless explicitly designed for charging connected devices, computer USB ports are typically limited to 0.5-1A @5V (i.e., 2.5-5.0W).

If you continue to experience difficulties with the stock Power Adapter supplied with your iPad, or when using an appropriate replacement Power Adapter of 12W or greater, you might be best advised to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support - and request a remote diagnostic test.

You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right and bottom-left of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad, Power Adapter and cable(s):

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2022 2:33 AM in response to Sarce_123

As described, your charging performance is perhaps not as it should be. If any difference in charging behaviour should occur, your iPad would be expected to charge more quickly when not being actively used.

These support pages should help with troubleshooting battery and charging issues:

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

Troubleshooting generally requires substitution of the Power Adapter and cable for another known-good item. Most models of iPad require a Power Adapter rated at 12W or greater to reliably charge. 5W Power Adapters intended for older models of iPhone are inadequate to charge an iPad; if the iPad charges at all, charging will be very slow.

Be aware that many computer USB ports cannot source sufficient power to charge an iPad. Unless explicitly designed for charging connected devices, computer USB ports are typically limited to 0.5-1A @5V (i.e., 2.5-5.0W).

If you continue to experience difficulties with the stock Power Adapter supplied with your iPad, or when using an appropriate replacement Power Adapter of 12W or greater, you might be best advised to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support - and request a remote diagnostic test.

You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right and bottom-left of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad, Power Adapter and cable(s):

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Nov 18, 2022 9:32 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks for your reply, I tried it again last night and I charged it switched off from 18% after 3 hours I turned it on to find it charged to only 60%… 42% in 3 hours really doesn’t seem good enough and It definitely charges quicker when it is switched on (in airplane mode) If it was just generally slow charging…but why would it just charge slowly when switched off…I got Apple to run the diagnostics test, they said nothing showed with either software or hardware but advised I did the update to to ipadOS16 which I am reluctant to do as I know that can have an adverse effect on battery life and can’t see it making any difference. I feel sure there has to be a fault with it somewhere and I worry it could be dangerous if the battery isn’t taking a charge correctly, I am going to persue with the retailer I got it from and see if they will replace it.

Ipad 2021 charging issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.