Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Files copy, not move on external drive? Permissions problem

When I try to move files from folder to folder on an external drive (a large RAID) the Finder is now copying, not moving them. According to Get Info, the ownership on the drive is correct (me) and the drive is set to ignore ownership. When I use Cmd-drag, that works, but asks me for a password.

Anybody have an idea how I can untangle this? It's really annoying.

Thanks,

Ric

Mac Studio

Posted on Nov 15, 2022 10:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2022 10:14 AM

You were correct. The problem was with the ACL (access control list) on the volume. I'm not sure how it happened (a long story due to some SoftRAID issues with the initial Ventura release, now fixed in 13.0.1). The solution I found was to run chmod -RN on the volume. That completely resets the ACL for all files on the volume. I tested it on several folders and then ran it on the entire volume.

Thanks Barney-15E. This was a weird one.

RIc

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2022 10:14 AM in response to Barney-15E

You were correct. The problem was with the ACL (access control list) on the volume. I'm not sure how it happened (a long story due to some SoftRAID issues with the initial Ventura release, now fixed in 13.0.1). The solution I found was to run chmod -RN on the volume. That completely resets the ACL for all files on the volume. I tested it on several folders and then ran it on the entire volume.

Thanks Barney-15E. This was a weird one.

RIc

Nov 16, 2022 4:18 PM in response to Ric Getter

The permissions on the drive are pretty much irrelevant. Those are only the permissions on the top level of the drive, not necessarily the subfolders.

What are the permission on the source folder? If it says "you have custom access," it may have a "group:everyone do not delete" access control list attached. That could be overriding the "Ignore Ownership…"

Files copy, not move on external drive? Permissions problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.