Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desperate! Video flickering on timeline and export

I have created a whole series of these videos but for some reason this specific video plays fine on media player but is randomly flickering in the timeline, see video for full explanation: https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/c3XDFgVUoMA

Thanks in advance!

Mac Studio, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 16, 2022 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2022 11:27 AM

Ranknetics wrote:

I have an update, please watch this: https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/c3XDq3VUDcx

There is something funky in the file.

Try this:

In the Finder, control-click the file you received, and do Services->Encode Selected Video Files, and choose

ProRes.

Import that into FCP. Does it work?

15 replies

Nov 16, 2022 10:57 AM in response to Ranknetics

It looks like some glitch with the frame ordering or something...

No idea why, but maybe we can try to get around the problem.

Did you try:

a) reexport the video - always the same problem?

b) export the video with another codec, like ProRes? I am pretty sure that the ProRes video will not suffer from this.

Then you can try reencoding from ProRes to H264 directly in the Finder or using Compressor, or HandBrake.

Nov 16, 2022 12:56 PM in response to Ranknetics

ProRes files take a lot of space. That is to be expected.

They are especially amenable for editing and.

Contrary to common distribution codecs (like H264 or HEVC), in ProRes files each frame is encoded separately. These other codecs use temporal encoding: only some frames (called I-frames) are encoded entirely, whereas nearby frames only encode changes from the ones before (or sometimes, after). Something in that temporal encoding must have become corrupted.

It is quite possible that if you just transcoded the ProRes file back to H264, that one would work (and there may not be significant loss of quality, depending on the image).

Desperate! Video flickering on timeline and export

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.