Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard drive for Time Machine

What external hard drive is recommended for Time Machine compatibility with a new Macbook Pro 14?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 16, 2022 1:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2022 2:40 PM

Apple does not provide hard drive recommendations for Time Machine.

Personally, I use the 2TB Crucial X8 SSD (1050MB/s) drive and it performs quite well using its included USB-C cabling that plugs directly into my 2021 16-inch MacBook Pro M1 Pro. It is formatted as APFS with GUID partition scheme.

Your sizing guidelines should be 2.5 to 3 times the size of the internal drive for the Time Machine drive storage capacity. if you are focused on a hard disk drive solution, strive for one that offers 7200 rpm, and is in a USB-C 3.2 gen 1 (or 2) enclosure that plugs directly into your MBP 14 USB-C port. Same formatting as first paragraph.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2022 2:40 PM in response to Thistledown5075

Apple does not provide hard drive recommendations for Time Machine.

Personally, I use the 2TB Crucial X8 SSD (1050MB/s) drive and it performs quite well using its included USB-C cabling that plugs directly into my 2021 16-inch MacBook Pro M1 Pro. It is formatted as APFS with GUID partition scheme.

Your sizing guidelines should be 2.5 to 3 times the size of the internal drive for the Time Machine drive storage capacity. if you are focused on a hard disk drive solution, strive for one that offers 7200 rpm, and is in a USB-C 3.2 gen 1 (or 2) enclosure that plugs directly into your MBP 14 USB-C port. Same formatting as first paragraph.

External hard drive for Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.