Newsroom Update

watchOS 11 brings powerful health and fitness insights. Learn more >

Related Article: If you can't add a card to Apple Wallet to use with Apple Pay

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having trouble adding Discover card to Apple Watch

I have added my Discover card to my Wallet on my iPhone 14 Pro. and it works in Apple Pay. I have made purchases with it. I went to the Watch app to add the Discover card to my digital wallet on my Apple Watch Series 7, and it fails to add. The error message says invalid card. I have deleted the card from both my phone and watch and tried to add it back to both devices with the same result—success adding it to the iPhone, fails adding it to the watch. I contacted Discover about this and they say that there are no authorization requests comming to them from Apple on my account. I one did come through, they would approve it, so they say it's not a problem on their end. Anyone have a solution for this? Who at Apple do I need to send this to?

Apple Watch Series 7

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2022 4:16 PM

Did you get it resolved? If not, this is how I got it resolved. I contacted Discover twice, the first time I got the same response you did. Then I spoke to Apple twice, the first time was told to update to iOS to 16.1.1 (typical response, but that did not work), on the second call to Apple I was referred back to Discover. I then contacted Discover a 2nd time, and was referred to their e-payment department, and spoke to a person who saw this problem before, and walked me through how to resolve. I was told to add the card directly from the Apple Wallet app on the watch (Open the App on watch and scroll down to the bottom and you will see "Add Card". You will then manually add your name and card info on the watch, it will then say you must authenticate using the iPhone Watch App, but in my case, I was able to bypass this, because Discover support was still on the phone and was able to send me, via text, the 6 digit authentication #, which I read back, and was then authenticated, and now the card is in my watch's Apple Wallet.

Good luck!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2022 4:16 PM in response to Randy Godfrey

Did you get it resolved? If not, this is how I got it resolved. I contacted Discover twice, the first time I got the same response you did. Then I spoke to Apple twice, the first time was told to update to iOS to 16.1.1 (typical response, but that did not work), on the second call to Apple I was referred back to Discover. I then contacted Discover a 2nd time, and was referred to their e-payment department, and spoke to a person who saw this problem before, and walked me through how to resolve. I was told to add the card directly from the Apple Wallet app on the watch (Open the App on watch and scroll down to the bottom and you will see "Add Card". You will then manually add your name and card info on the watch, it will then say you must authenticate using the iPhone Watch App, but in my case, I was able to bypass this, because Discover support was still on the phone and was able to send me, via text, the 6 digit authentication #, which I read back, and was then authenticated, and now the card is in my watch's Apple Wallet.

Good luck!

Nov 22, 2022 1:59 PM in response to bobbyd

Adding the card from the Wallet app on the watch worked. I haven't tested it yet, but that's further along than I was. I also deleted the Discover Card from my iPad and added it back from the settings app. I was getting some responses from that device, too, when I tried to make a purchase. It wanted me to update the address, even though it was correct. I haven't tested it there either but will post again when I do.

Having trouble adding Discover card to Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.