Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP M1 will not open universal type programs.

My MacBook Pro M1 will not open universal type programs downloaded from Adobe, Serif, etc. It is frustrating spending money on program downloads that won't open. I just get the bouncing icon in the dock, until "program is not responding". I am running Ventura 13.0. My most recent disappointment is that Affinity 2 will not open. I have used Macs for 35 years, and this current MBP M1 is making me want to return to a former intel MBP. I am not a tech guru, so a lot of arcane techie talk is not going to help me.

Is there a simple solution that escapes me?

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 9:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 9:56 AM

All of my Affinity 2 applications installed and open just fine with macOS 13.0.1 on my M1 mini, M1 MBP M1 Pro, and 2020 Core i7 iMac running Monterey 12.6.1. In fact, none of my other Universal2 applications fail to open, and even the ones that I compiled as Universal2 binaries also open fine on Apple Silicon and Intel Macs.

I recommend that you boot your M1 Mac into Safe Boot mode, try launching any Affinity 2 application, and then reboot normally. See if running the Affinity application again after reboot resolves this issue.

I obtained my Affinity 2 products from the Mac App Store. If you obtained them as downloads directly from Affinity, I would move them to the Trash, empty said Trash, and reinstall them again.

Assumption: You are not running any anti-virus or so-called "cleaner" applications since any universal2 binaries were installed, and that may be impacting their behavior. You are also running these universal2 applications on your internal startup drive in the /Applications folder and not from an external drive or cloud service.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2022 9:56 AM in response to wiffenpoof

All of my Affinity 2 applications installed and open just fine with macOS 13.0.1 on my M1 mini, M1 MBP M1 Pro, and 2020 Core i7 iMac running Monterey 12.6.1. In fact, none of my other Universal2 applications fail to open, and even the ones that I compiled as Universal2 binaries also open fine on Apple Silicon and Intel Macs.

I recommend that you boot your M1 Mac into Safe Boot mode, try launching any Affinity 2 application, and then reboot normally. See if running the Affinity application again after reboot resolves this issue.

I obtained my Affinity 2 products from the Mac App Store. If you obtained them as downloads directly from Affinity, I would move them to the Trash, empty said Trash, and reinstall them again.

Assumption: You are not running any anti-virus or so-called "cleaner" applications since any universal2 binaries were installed, and that may be impacting their behavior. You are also running these universal2 applications on your internal startup drive in the /Applications folder and not from an external drive or cloud service.

MBP M1 will not open universal type programs.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.