Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use old i mac as a monitor for fit a new mac mini

I have a 2009 iMac which is no longer supported/updated, although its working just fine, the software is out of date. Redundancy built in by apple i guess.

Can I just update it by working through a mac mini and save money as an alternative to a different affordable desktop

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 18, 2022 2:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2022 10:24 AM

What you want to do, Target Display Mode (TDM), had strict hardware and OS restrictions. Apple have abandoned it starting in Late 2014 and throwing the last shovel of dirt on it in Early 2020.

Please see those restrictions here.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Even were the iMac TDM-capable (some 2009 models are), no M-series Mac Mini can do TDM regardless of the iMac model.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2022 10:24 AM in response to dennisindownton

What you want to do, Target Display Mode (TDM), had strict hardware and OS restrictions. Apple have abandoned it starting in Late 2014 and throwing the last shovel of dirt on it in Early 2020.

Please see those restrictions here.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Even were the iMac TDM-capable (some 2009 models are), no M-series Mac Mini can do TDM regardless of the iMac model.

Nov 19, 2022 6:36 PM in response to dennisindownton

You are most welcome.

Pity the company is so greedy to force us to scrap a fine product in the hope we buy an expensive replacement (So they can do it again) Apple write off age is getting shorter I hear…

As this is a community of end users like you, Apple will not see your concerns here. However, a feedback link will go before an Apple employee:

Feedback - iMac - Apple

Nov 18, 2022 12:50 PM in response to Allan Jones

Thank for the advice. Not great news but not a surprise. I’ve had happy times with my Mac and there’s nothing wrong with it so far, just no updates. Pity the company is so greedy to force us to scrap a fine product in the hope we buy an expensive replacement (So they can do it again) Apple write off age is getting shorter I hear…

Nov 19, 2022 9:30 PM in response to dennisindownton

If it's a 24" or 27" 2009 iMac it should work in Target Display Mode with your Mac mini, despite what Apple says. In Target Display Mode it just acts as a Mini DisplayPort monitor, so the Mac mini doesn't need any particuler software to use it.

You will need a USB-C to Mini DisplayPort cable, such as:

https://www.startech.com/audio-video-products/cdp2mdpmm1mb

Use old i mac as a monitor for fit a new mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.