Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad can't restore

I have an iPad that the passcode has been entered incorrectly too many times and I am now on the 'Press Home to recover' page. If I enter the passcode the iPad attempts and fails data recovery and then disables itself for an hour. If I plug it into iTunes in revoery mode (on a MAC or PC) and try to update or recover both options fail and then disable the iPad for an hour and it goes back to the 'Press Home to recover page'

I've tried every method I have found online including use third party software and nothing. I don't get error codes, on restore or update it just freezes after extracting software. I have left it overnight and the restore or update never progresses.

Its an 8th Gen iPad A2270 on IOS 15.5

Any suggestions?

Posted on Nov 18, 2022 3:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2022 4:38 AM

The answer after weeks of trying it to not use a USB-C to lightning cable. I have tried several different cables all USB-C and had the same problem. I have just tried with a USB-A to lightning and the restore has happened first time.

[Link Edited by Moderator]

7 replies

Nov 18, 2022 4:02 AM in response to Ben GT

These support pages outline the available methods to restore an iPad - either from a backup, or to Factory Settings:

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch from a backup – Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

Restore all content to iPad from a backup - Apple Support

You’ll need access to either a Windows PC (with iTunes for Windows installed) or a Mac (with iTunes or Finder - as appropriate for the installed version of MacOS).

Download and use iTunes for Windows – Apple Support

Update to the latest version of iTunes – Apple Support

Use of a PC or Mac computer is unavoidable. If you don’t have access to a suitable computer of your own, that of a helpful friend or family member will suffice. Alternatively, the technicians at the Genius Bar of your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) will be delighted to assist.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

iPad can't restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.