Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a MagSafe to USB-C adapter?

(duplicated old question by MoSue’s Profile - Apple Community)

I need to connect my Thunderbolt display MagSafe power connector to a modern MacBook pro. Is there a mag safe to USB-C adapter?

I have found this on the web https://bigupgadgets.com/uk/macbook-65w-5-pin-magsafe-series-to-usb-c-type-c-converter-white-06-pc0914w.html

Which seems promising although the power rating 65W is a bit low.

I’ve checked the Thunderbolt display specs and its power cable can deliver up to 85W. My new macbook comes with a 140W power adapter so my guess is I'd need an adapter at least 85W rated.

Hope it makes sense.

Posted on Nov 18, 2022 4:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2022 8:38 AM

Hi req7777,

This specific configuration that you're describing does not appear to be officially supported, as our support article only specifies the following:

"If your Mac has USB-C ports, you can charge your Mac with a USB-C charge cable and a USB-C power adapter or with a USB-C or Thunderbolt display that provides power."

Charge your MacBook Air or MacBook Pro - Apple Support

We are unable to verify if this third-party adapter would allow the MacBook Pro to charge.

Cheers!

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2022 8:38 AM in response to req7777

Hi req7777,

This specific configuration that you're describing does not appear to be officially supported, as our support article only specifies the following:

"If your Mac has USB-C ports, you can charge your Mac with a USB-C charge cable and a USB-C power adapter or with a USB-C or Thunderbolt display that provides power."

Charge your MacBook Air or MacBook Pro - Apple Support

We are unable to verify if this third-party adapter would allow the MacBook Pro to charge.

Cheers!

Nov 21, 2022 8:01 AM in response to req7777

Hello req7777,

Would the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter work for this task?

It is available on the Apple website here: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - Apple

If not, which Mac model do you have exactly? You mentioned it was a MacBook Pro.

Check here: Identify your MacBook Pro model - Apple Support

That may give us more insight.

Wishing you well, take care.

Nov 21, 2022 1:01 AM in response to ArmMan1016

Thanks for your reply ArmMan1016, but what I need is all the way around :)

means MagSafe (version 1) input and USB-C power output (as per the screenshot of the converter I have found and attached). This is to simply use the Thunderbolt Display’s power output with the new MacBookPro without necessity of additional charger (which I also have but use in another location). Hope it makes sense.

Nov 21, 2022 8:14 AM in response to destiny241

Nah, that does not look right, this adapter seems to connect macbook USB-C port to HDMI etc, does not even support power.

What I am looking for is to connect Thunderbolt Display power output (MagSafe/MagSafe2) to my MacBookPro 16’’ (2021) either MagSafe3 or USB-C port. Hope that makes it clearer.

I don’t think Apple has anything up for the task right now but knowledgable people here might know a 3rd party solution similar to one in my first post.

My MBP16’’ works just fine with a 65W, 3rd party charger so I am guessing it should be fine with 85W of the Thunderbolt Display. Only if I could find a right adapter :-)

Is there a MagSafe to USB-C adapter?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.