Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring playlists

How do you transfer (export / import etc) playlists from iPad or iPhone to MacBook Music using the latest Music app on iOS Ventura 13.0.1

Previously you could connect your device to your Mac. Locate your device in Finder side bar & expand ‘Device’ showing your music & playlists. Then select the playlist, & select File/Library/Export.

Posted on Nov 19, 2022 3:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2022 1:25 PM

Hello Jus777,

This page offers insight on how to sync music from your iPhone and iPad to your Mac: Connect your device to your Mac to sync Music content - Apple Support.

1. Connect your device to your Mac using a USB or USB-C cable.
2. Do one of the following:
- If it’s your first time connecting this device to your Mac: Open the Finder  on your Mac, click the device in the Finder sidebar, then click Trust; you may also need to tap Trust on the device.
- If it’s not your first time connecting this device to your Mac: In the Music app  on your Mac, click the device in the sidebar, then click Sync Settings in the top-right corner.
The device opens in the Finder  on your Mac.

After you connect your device to your Mac, you can sync content between the two. See Sync content between your Mac and iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch or Sync content between your Mac and iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch over Wi-Fi.

Kind regards!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2022 1:25 PM in response to Jus777

Hello Jus777,

This page offers insight on how to sync music from your iPhone and iPad to your Mac: Connect your device to your Mac to sync Music content - Apple Support.

1. Connect your device to your Mac using a USB or USB-C cable.
2. Do one of the following:
- If it’s your first time connecting this device to your Mac: Open the Finder  on your Mac, click the device in the Finder sidebar, then click Trust; you may also need to tap Trust on the device.
- If it’s not your first time connecting this device to your Mac: In the Music app  on your Mac, click the device in the sidebar, then click Sync Settings in the top-right corner.
The device opens in the Finder  on your Mac.

After you connect your device to your Mac, you can sync content between the two. See Sync content between your Mac and iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch or Sync content between your Mac and iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch over Wi-Fi.

Kind regards!

Nov 21, 2022 1:47 PM in response to genieen16

Unfortunately that is just standard syncing of Mac to iDevice (iphone / iPad / iPod etc). This deletes any info on the iDevice. This is how I lost my playlists on my iPhone when syncing with new MacBook Pro. Thankfully I have not synced my iPad to the Mac & so still have playlists in tact in the iPad.

What I need to do is sync iPad to Mac (opposite direction to above - sending playlists from iDevice to the Mac).

Nov 21, 2022 4:33 PM in response to Eric--F

FWIW a temporary subscription to Apple Music is a potential Apple solution to this issue, with the provisos that it only covers music, and may include the occasional mismatch, e.g. clean vs. explicit etc. You can subscribe on an iOS device, matching or uploading the music content on the device into the user's iCloud Music Library, which can then be downloaded to a Mac or PC.

tt2

Transferring playlists

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.