Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exclude TAGS in Finder search

I'm aware of the option to click the + button and then pick the Tag option, etc.

What I'm trying to know/learn is how to do it by typing it at the top the same way I can type kind:image or name:vacation, etc

For tag, I can use tag:green and it will show me all files with that tag, but how can exclude it?

I tried tag -green. I tried tag:-green. No luck.

Let's say I have 200 files and all have the tag ABC and then 30 of those have the tag XYZ.

Now I just want to show the files that have the ABC tag, but exclude those 30 with the XYZ tag, meaning I will be shown 170 files.

I tired this, for example:

It actually showed me the files with green tag and excluded the ones with red, but as you can see, even after I hit ENTER, the "tag:red" wasn't converted to the same "format" as "tag:green". As much as this time worked, is this normal? Is this the right way to do it?

I also read that instead fo NOT I can use the minus sign (Narrow your search results on Mac - Apple Support). How would I use it in this particular scenario with tags?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 19, 2022 7:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2022 8:39 AM

Do not expect every occurrence of the tag keyword to take on that first tag appearance. Even my first instance does not do that on Ventura.

Show only the single PDF that has a tag named "Unique Tag" and exclude all other tag names with "PDF/A"

kind:pdf AND tag:uniq -(tag:pdf/a)

This returns the single PDF on my Desktop and ignores those with a PDF/A tag.

A PDF with tags "Unique Tag" and "Red" tag on it:

kind:pdf AND (tag:red OR tag:uniq)

Again, this returns one PDF with two tags on it.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2022 8:39 AM in response to tiagorocha

Do not expect every occurrence of the tag keyword to take on that first tag appearance. Even my first instance does not do that on Ventura.

Show only the single PDF that has a tag named "Unique Tag" and exclude all other tag names with "PDF/A"

kind:pdf AND tag:uniq -(tag:pdf/a)

This returns the single PDF on my Desktop and ignores those with a PDF/A tag.

A PDF with tags "Unique Tag" and "Red" tag on it:

kind:pdf AND (tag:red OR tag:uniq)

Again, this returns one PDF with two tags on it.

Nov 19, 2022 10:18 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you so much for clarifying that!

So basically, even if I don't see that "fancy" thing on my search bar, that doesn't mean it won't work, right? What matters is if the syntax is well written.

Also, I now see that for the exclusion, you need to add the parenthesisafter the minus sign, so you group that condition using that. That's great!

I really appreciate your help. Will save this on my computer for future reference.

Is there a link you would suggest where I can learn a bit more about this?

Exclude TAGS in Finder search

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.